G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Very, very nice layout with excellent landscaping. Question regarding the tunnels; noted some were constructed with concrete block but others had a cylindrical interior finish. Any ideas how these were constructed? Appears as though concrete was poured over a cylindrical form which was later removed. I would like to duplicate as looks great.
Thanks
Dale

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Dale for the message, I really do not know how he did it but i think it is a metal pipe that he used. I know that one guy in my club maked rock interior tunnels by making a form and putting concrete over it, here is a slideshow of how he did that http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/reelroader/?action=view&current=e99bbbcf.pbw

·
Registered
91 Posts
Suspected a pipe was used to form. Wonder how difficult it was to removed after the concrete was set.
Thanks Andrew

Dale

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Dave and Andrew, Welcome to the site! Thanks for posting that video. I can really appreciate it. While I was recently traveling for work I stumbled on to a Hobby shop and stopped in. I walked out excited to have purchased my first ever copy of Garden Railways. (the August copy) Your video makes it all the more meaning full.

As for the tunnel, I think a great trick would be to cut a Cardboard tube (the yellow kind they have at Home Desperate for concrete forms ) long wise just one cut so you can expand it. The place a 1x4 or similar strip over the cut inside and out, then screw through to clamp it all. Be sure to screw from the inside so you can get to the head after the pour. Next place it and pour concrete. Once cured you can take out the screws, collapse the tube and pull it out. Just an idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts