G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I recently fired the new SNCF 232.U.1 for her very first run.

Congratulations! The 232U1 captures the essence of the power and beauty of the great age of steam better than any other. Just be careful when you let it out in the wild .....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Oooh ... lovely loco Clayton, like your loco colour I am green with envy at your latest acquisition, too bad I'm thousands of kilometres away on the east coast of Australia and you are on the west coast as my French trains would be great to combine with your French trains for a great steam up. One day maybe when covid travel restrictions ease.
Great loco and can't wait to see what you think when you pull a load with it.
Russell

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulations! The 232U1 captures the essence of the power and beauty of the great age of steam better than any other. Just be careful when you let it out in the wild .....
Yes, there’s something about it that just oozes style, refinement and power.
And such a heavy model for its size.
It would be awesome to run her on coal, but the manger burner gives a fierce, clean fire... so I’ll be keeping her soot free.
I’ll certainly be monitoring it closely to familiarise myself with the running characteristics of a strong compound engine.
The effect of compounding became evident even on rollers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oooh ... lovely loco Clayton, like your loco colour I am green with envy at your latest acquisition, too bad I'm thousands of kilometres away on the east coast of Australia and you are on the west coast as my French trains would be great to combine with your French trains for a great steam up. One day maybe when covid travel restrictions ease.
Great loco and can't wait to see what you think when you pull a load with it.
Russell
Hi Russell,

I’m glad you like it.
I put some extra time into this video by using my old Digital SLR camera, with a very nice lens. Unfortunately I didn’t consider the effects of relatively low frames-per-second on capturing the drive motion... which looks a bit erratic in the video, but was as smooth as silk to the eye.
Running on rollers will never compare to a nice layout though, so hopefully we can get together for a French running session in the not-too-distant future.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent video Clayton.
She sure is some machine,looking forward to seeing her run on the track soon.
Thanks Graham,
I’ll get her on the NDMES track for a run at my next opportunity.
Unfortunately she’ll only be on UK excursion duty, pulling a rake of GWR coaches.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Very nice indeed. But I must say, when that whistle first sounded @ the 1:29 minute mark, I had a flashback to my Navy days... Thought someone was blowing a boatswain's pipe!!! Actually scared me!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice indeed. But I must say, when that whistle first sounded @ the 1:29 minute mark, I had a flashback to my Navy days... Thought someone was blowing a boatswain's pipe!!! Actually scared me!
Jeez mate,
Sorry about the trigger.
It certainly is a piercing whistle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts