G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Vermont Garden Railway Society has an informal live steam subdivision which meets (approximately) weekly during the short Vermont summer. We normally use Larry Green's layout because it has two concentric loops and is up on benchwork. We use my layout infrequently because it has a sigle loop and is mostly on the ground.
At our 15 October get-together, Larry noted that my K28 seemed to be a strong puller and suggested that we put it to the test. We hooked on five AMS J&S coaches and twelve freight cars. (Sometimes it seems as if AMS coaches are about as easy to pull as dragging a concrete block across your basement floor). I got pressure up on my loco, coupled onto the train and sent it on its way. The drive wheels never slipped. I did find that it started to run out of steam; so, I turned the flame up to get a higher pressure and the loco marched onward without complaint.

Larry was running his Accucraft 4-4-0 American with string of empty ore cars. Here you see it prancing on by the more heavily burdened K28.

There could be another day or two in October when it will be possible to steam; but, it looks as if time has nearly run out for this season’s steaming.

Llyn Rice

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Carl,

Was Henry able to show his hypothesis to be correct when he finished collecting and analyzing the data?

The Accucraft K series locos do seem to very strong pulling machines.

Llyn

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Carl,

Larry doesn't do photos on MLS. After I shake the cold I'm suffering from, I'll arrange to photograph his kit-bashed combine and start a thread which he can amplify.

Dave,

Next year seems like such a long way off for planning purposes. But, please do let us know what you have going next summer. A joint get together could be fun.

Llyn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts