G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched "The Jerk" starring Steve Martin.  It's not a 4-star flick, but at one pojnt in the movie, he is supposedly working for a traveling carnival but one of the various jobs he does is engineer a live steam train on which kids and adults can ride.  It is obvious to the trained eye that this was no carnival train - the stream engine (Mikado? Pacific?) and gondolas looked very accurately constructed; there was a roundhouse in the background and a small yard.  Looked like it was maybe 7" or slightly larger gauge - my eyes aren't that quick to recognize scale.  Did not think to hit the record button.

Anyone familiar with this and know whose train / layout was used for the filming?

Al 

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
That was filmed at the Los Angeles Live Steamers track here in L.A. in Griffith Park. The layout has been extensively enlarged in the past thirty years. The steamer belongs to one of our members.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gary.  I found their website www.lals.org.   Great site. I guessed correctly about the 7 1/2" gauge.  (OK, so I was off by 1/2 inch..)

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
RE: Very large scale layout in "The Jerk"

And the motel scenes in "Plains, Trains and Automobiles" was filmed at a cheap motel just north of my cheap motel. Watch when they drive in. I go by that any time I go north.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts