G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,970 Posts
If you've got the loco and extra box, then why not have a go? On the other hand, if you're just thinking of buying a loco from which to start, I'd be more tempted to go with a Bachmann 4-6-0 as a starting point. It's got a robust drive, and good valve gear that doesn't need to be fabricated.

Quite some time ago, I tried using the Aristo Rogers motor blocks for a project, and had really bad luck with them. The gears chewed themselves up. This was some 15 or so years ago, mind you, so take that for what it's worth.

Later,

K

·
Super Moderator
4,970 Posts
In my case, I was just using one motor to power the prairie. I don't think it was overloaded (with only 6 or 7 car trains) but that's always a possibility. I had bought two blocks at a train show, and managed to chew up both main gears. It could have been a bad batch, funny worm screw, who knows? I replaced the motors and gears with NWSL parts, and that fixed the problem.

Anther option would be to get parts from Hartland. It's been a while since I priced his parts, but I was looking at using them for a 2-8-0 project, and for everything I'd need (motor, gears, 4 sets of drivers) it was only going to set me back between $60 - $80 or something like that. You're still on your own for frames, rods, etc., but it's a good start. I've since acquired a 2nd-hand BBT chassis which will likely serve my purposes, though I may try to see if I can swap out the drivers...

Later,

K

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.