Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'd prefer not to do the draw bar. The C&NW did not use them. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks Jim. I thought 10 cars would make a nice train. Now that it's done I might get a few more cars as the train looks a little short now. Later RJD

·
Registered
688 Posts
The P&C Dock in Conneaut Ohio recieves ore and the Bessemer used those lil buggers in the past as well. Even today I think the ore cars are only 40 footers they may be smaller. It's an awesome sight to watch the Bessemer's 6 SD units battle to get the loaded cars out of the valley to Meadville PA. They use 3 pullers and 3 pushers up i believe an almost constant 2% grade for like 20 miles. To top it off there isn't much straight track on the route as it follows the Conneaut creek winding and climbing through the valley.

·
Registered
518 Posts
That climb must have been might impressive in the days of steam, PJockey

Yes, RJ, more are called for - or maybe a smaller loco than the Mallet

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Posted By chuck n on 11/06/2008 2:58 PM
Todd:

I think that the problem is that the cars are too high and you need a stepdown coupler rather than step up. Since I don't have the cars I can't measure the body height above the rail to see if that is correct.

Chuck N

PS: Kevin or somebody else in Colorado:

What type of cars were used to deliver the Iron Ore to the steel mills in Pueblo (CF&I). The Colorado and Wyoming Railroad was used for this transport. I really can't find anything but the name for the C&W. I think that a lot of the iron was mined in the Laramie Range in Wyoming and some may have come from the Orient Mine in the Sangre de Christo range. None of the books that I have on RRs in Colorado mention the iron ore transport. There is a lot of information on the movement of marble (limestone) from Monarch to the mills in Pueblo.

The standard gauge Colorado and Southern brought iron ore from Guernsey Wyoming to Pueblo Colorado in open gondolas, probably with drop bottoms. They often had to double head two 2-10-2 locomotives to get them over the hills. The steam shovel that was used to mine the ore in Wyoming is on display at the Colorado Mining Museum in Colorado Springs. It's all rusty but it is a real kick to see it operate on compressed air.

Terl

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Terl:

Thanks for the information on the transport of the ore for the Pueblo steel mills. I made a common mistake in thinking the the Colorado and Wyoming actually made it to Wyoming. I think that is was in fact a very short coal hauling RR in southern Colorado.

The mistake I made was to assume the name actually meant something. I keep forgetting all the railroads out there that had names like " X Y & Pacific". They never made it to "Y" let alone the Pacific.

Chuck N

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Actually they are just made from the old Lionel tooling. When Lionel sold them they had smaller profile wheels and 1/32 scale trucks. The big USA truck puts the coupler way out infront of the car where the short Lionel coupler was a lot closer.

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Working on making loads for the cars. Just another project to work on during the winter months. Later RJD

·
Super Modulator
21,137 Posts
Gary, just curious, not confrontive, how did you come by that info? Did you put one next to another, or was this published somewhere?

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Greg:

When these cars first came out there was mention in some of the threads here on MLS that these cars might have come from Lionel molds.

I was I Charlie's shop last Saturday, thinking about buying some of these cars. The bodies were way above the trucks, I could see why body mounted couplers didn't work, which started this thread.

Chuck N

·
Super Modulator
21,137 Posts
Ahh, so not really confirmed. Got it.

Yep, I was very disappointed that the body is so high, I want to body mount. I will get off my butt and find some prototype info and see if I can get the body down lower. It would seem that if these are a relatively accurate reproduction, that the excessive height is caused by the trucks or wheels or mounting of same.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
We sold our share of them in brown boxes. They are still around. There are some on evil bay now - item 300274128542 and 140282996091 and 140283217039. The last batch was about 2 yrs back SKU# 8-87214 Ontario Northland. Item number 330223980796 is the Ontario Northland version

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Some interesting prototype photos of ore cars...

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsRRList.aspx?id=32

Gary

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
The old MDC G scale ore cars are back available again as well. They are in PIKO boxes now. They also have the old MDC hopper back available in the new PIKO train sets.

·
Super Modulator
21,137 Posts
Well, there seems to ba a lot of difference.

USAT drawing:

One thing is clear, the car is sitting almost 1" too high it seems... the prototype has the tops of the wheels "up inside" the frame rails...

Interesting... maybe there is hope if I can lower these babies!

(I have some of the MDC cars, the are truly 1:32, way too small for my 1:29 stuff!)

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Greg:

Thanks for the pictures. I have always thought that the USAT ore cars didn't look quite right. Your pictures helped me discover what bothered me about the USAT cars.

1, They are too high.

2, The trucks are mounted too far in toward the center of the car, on the real cars the journal for the outside wheel set lines up with the end of the car. This causes a little less that half of the wheel to stick out beyond the end of the car.

3, Because of "2" the dump doors on the model are much shorter than the dump doors on the prototype.

4, Because of "3" the angle of the base of the ore bin is not as steep in the model. I was always bothered by the amount of light that I could see through the end of the cars. The ore bin on the prototype is larger and there is less open space under the ends.

The bottom line is that I had wanted a string of these ore cars, but because of the problems that I see, I'll pass. Have you measured the MDC cars to determine that they are 1:32, or is that what it says on the box?

If they are 1:32, I'll probably have to pass on them also, as all my "standard gauge" engines and cars are 1:29.

Chuck N

·
Super Modulator
21,137 Posts
Chuck, They are definitely 1:32, and you can tell by them sitting next to another car. Virtually all the MDC stuff was 1:32 and advertised as such. If I get off my lazy butt this weekend, I will shoot pictures of the two side by side..

Paul, I saw the picture, it's not big enough for me to make any conclusions. I will search the web, I'm sure I can find a large picture of Lionel ore cars. Funny, many of the Lionel large scale was 1:32, but many were larger.

Regards, Greg

21 - 40 of 67 Posts