G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys, 
     I read on another thread that USAT & Aristocraft products come out of the same factory in China.  WOW!  I didn't know that.  I was under the impression that USAT products were of slightly higher quality. I have only had one Aristo steam switcher loco, and my two USAT loco's are higher end pieces, so it may not be a fair comparison.  
     My outdoor RR has Aristocraft Stainless Steel track, which is well-laid and flat, with Split Jaw clamps and power supply wires at every 15 feet or so.  That said, my Aristo switchers seem to run kind of "jerky" in comparison to my USAT GP-38-2 and Alco S-4, not to mention a large roster of LGB stuff (Mikes, F-7's, Moguls, etc.) and a single Bachmann Spectrum American.  That performance has kept me from buying other Aristocraft loco's, in favor of the others.  I know many dislike the pickup shoes on LGB and USAT pieces, but I can't fault thier results: they run, smoothly!
     To be fair, I must acknowledge that my little Aristo switcher has fewer spots to contact the powered track, and that may be the reason for poor performance, while my other pieces have much more contact with the track.  Also, I can assume the relative lack of detail on an 0-4-0 Aristo Steam switcher (when compared to a USAT GP) can be explained by the cost difference.
     However, the USAT loco's "feel" more substantial than the similar Aristo pieces I've seen.  Maybe just my imagination.  If they come off the same assembly line, then is there ANY difference between the two brands?  Do they use the same componentry?  I'll have to be sure to compare them side-by-side with each other at the ECLS show in March.
     I'd appreciate hearing from the forum....opinions?
-axdop

·
Registered
55 Posts
RE: USAT & Aristo come off the same assembly line?

They are made in the same factory. Thats about as far as the similarity goes. They each use their own specs of components from motors to circutry. They easch use different paint and finishing specs as well. Many other trains are manufactured in the same factory, incluting Lionel and many HO scale models. They only thing that factory does is make toy trains.

George

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Ohhhhhhhhh! Well, that does make sense. Thanks for the clarification!

·
Registered
55 Posts

OK, it let me type the reply, but it won't let me go back and edit the typos. just ignore them :)

George

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Been there! I wish LIFE had an "edit reply" button!!!! I'd use it every day!.....BTW....I would LOVE to see one of those "How IS It Made" TV shows on our model trains!!!! That would be very cool.
-axdop

·
Registered
55 Posts

You may be in luck there. I've seen the raw footage of a video Aristo is working on, it was taken on a recent visit to the factory. I believe Lewis will be showing it at the SELSTS. It will be available as a DVD at some point in its edited form. Our first reaction upon seeing it in its rough form was " this needs to be on "how its made"" Someday it may be, it was a VERY interesting video.

George

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
George,

I am interested to see this video.  I had the privelege of having a guided tour of the LGB factory in Nurnburg in December of 2002.  It was a lot of fun and very interesting.  To this day, I cannot look at any of my LGB track without thinking that there was ONE woman who made all the track.   It was awesome and very enlightening.  I am sure the Aristo factory is very similar.

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Posted By George Adams on 01/17/2008 12:04 PM
They are made in the same factory. Thats about as far as the similarity goes. They each use their own specs of components from motors to circutry. They easch use different paint and finishing specs as well. Many other trains are manufactured in the same factory, incluting Lionel and many HO scale models. They only thing that factory does is make toy trains.

George

So if that factory burns to the ground, the entire toy train world will be plunged into chaos???/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

Maybe not....but Ebay would become a Gold Mine..../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Posted By George Adams on 01/17/2008 12:46 PM
You may be in luck there. I've seen the raw footage of a video Aristo is working on, it was taken on a recent visit to the factory. I believe Lewis will be showing it at the SELSTS. It will be available as a DVD at some point in its edited form. Our first reaction upon seeing it in its rough form was " this needs to be on "how its made"" Someday it may be, it was a VERY interesting video.

George

Hi, georgie......................./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts