G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot to ask how to go about ordering parts for my USA Trains NW-2 such as smoke stacks, bell, handrails (pkg) and perhaps electrical pick-up feet, etc. Can I call Charles Ro's USA Trains in Malden directly. Thanks again for the assistance.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
On NW-2s, the small plastic bases that hold the side stanchions and handrails to the frame are very susceptible to damage.

On the bottom of the bases, the little plastic nubs that fit into holes in the frame can break off. Ordinarily a nub can be replaced with a small piece of brass rod, but unfortunately the bottoms of these bases are too shallow to hold a piece of rod firmly. As the stanchions are different, one is a brass channel the other a brass rod, two methods of repair are required.

A piece of brass rod is soldered inside the channel extending out the bottom. A hole just big enough for the rod is drilled through the base to let the rod pass through the bottom and into the frame. The hole in frame is drilled deeper to let the rod get a more secure grip. The base can be glued to the stanchion and both touched up with paint.

A length of small brass tube is sweat soldered onto the bottom of the rod shaped stanchion. A hole just big enough for the tube is drilled through the base to let the tube pass through the bottom and into the frame. The hole in frame is drilled deeper to let the tube get a more secure grip. The base can be glued to the stanchion and both touched up with paint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Paul,
I thought there were railing parts missing from my NW-2, however your photo has helped me install them properly. Great tip on replacing broken plastic bases.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you call the store you will get your parts. I go there all the time and get parts easily when needed. I call before hand and they are waiting for me. There are a bunch of nice people working there and they are always friendly to me and the wife.

Art

1 - 5 of 5 Posts