G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Greg,

No one is rah rah happy like the Aristo rah rah.. just deal in facts and you will be fine.
I understand the second part of your sentence, but don't get the first.

Yeah, I wish USAT came out with products as often as Aristo, but if the wheels came loose on USAT locos like they do on Aristo steamers, then I would be unhappy.

If USAT put the undersides of the box cars on backwards like Aristo I would be unhappy.

If the coupler mounting pad for a Kadee on a USAT did not work, and was the wrong height and location like on an Aristo I would be unhappy.

So I cannot bash USAT for not turning out cars and locos at a high rate, I'm happy with their quality, and I'm making the assumption that quality takes more time and money.

1. Agreed. I only have one aristo steamer, and its wheels came loose. I paid $250 for it brand new, and knew the wheels would probably be loose. Was I happy about it? Not really. Was I more annoyed that I had to paint the wheels and siderods? Yes.

2. Me too. Haven't had any new boxcars with that issue.

3. Doesn't apply to me, so I couldn't care less.

4. I haven't bashed USA at all. I don't know how much more money it takes, when the USA diesels and freight cars cost about what the Aristo stuff costs. LGB was typically more expensive until they started making some things in China. Before that, USA and ARisto's locomotives were all much more reasonably priced.

I appreciate your thoughts and can see where my word choice might have caused some folks to take exception, but feel I have made statements based on my observations. I apologize to all if my comments were viewed in that light.

Here's my impression based on the available information I have (which is website data and catalogs only): I don't consider the ore cars 'new', since they are MDC's ore cars that have been remade. The 0-6-0T has been around in a model form for at least 2 years, but is only now getting to the market. The RPO, Combine, and baggage car are pictured on pages 45-46 of the 05-06 USA catalog.

I'm not putting USA trains down. I like their trains and own several. The diesels and the freight cars I've got are well made. I just have not heard or seen anything from them in the past year to 18 months about any brand new products. It was based on that fact (the silence) that my thoughts were that USA was done making new models, and would be content to produce their current product line. Given that they have an extensive offering, from switchers, early diesels, 2nd generation diesels, modern diesels and a plethora of freight and passenger cars to go with it, they have their bases fairly well covered.

From the webpage, this new caboose looks to be pretty sweet. Brand new caboose trucks? What are caboose trucks!? Have to do some research. I never even thought about the trucks, figuring that typical freight trucks were the order of the day. Plus the circuitry to keep the marker lights lit when the train stops? Sweet! And a brakeman? Raising the bar, for sure!

Better?

Mike - I've been watching your B6 project. Looking good!!

Mark

Posted By Esppe Pete on 10/24/2008 9:17 PM

Anyone know if Southern Pacific or UP ran Center Cupolas?

Pete

I doubt this version was ever used on the UP or SP as it's an eastern prototype. UP had a lot of center cupolas, but they were not the USA variety.

They looked like this HO model which is referred to as a CA-4:

More can be seen here: UP Cabeese

Posted By Esppe Pete on 10/24/2008 9:17 PM

Anyone know if Southern Pacific or UP ran Center Cupolas?
Pete

Posted By San Juan on 10/25/2008 3:54 PM

I doubt this version was ever used on the UP or SP as it's an eastern prototype. UP had a lot of center cupolas, but they were not the USA variety.

I have to keep cross-posting between the two threads on this topic! ;)" align="absmiddle" border="0" />
oh well..

yes, UP has owned this style of caboose!
in fact, they have one in service at this moment..
ex C&NW, originally LV..currently in use in UP MOW service:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=212793

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=945762

The fact that these cabooses started out in the East really has no bearing on where they wound up..
they have been found all over the country..

I dont know about SP..I will see what I can dig up..

Scot

Mark, the USAT ore cars are completely new and 1:29, and not 1:32 as the MDC. I have both and I can tell you the USAT ones are larger, heavier, and have much better trucks, the MDC was famous for cracked sideframes.

In fact, anyone in San Diego that wants some MTH cars cheap, come by. I wanted ore cars, and did not want to pay the LGB prices. Now it turns out, to my dismay, that Santa Fe NEVER had those cute little ore cars. Drat.

Regards, Greg

Posted By Greg Elmassian on 10/25/2008 9:14 PM
Mark, the USAT ore cars are completely new and 1:29, and not 1:32 as the MDC. I have both and I can tell you the USAT ones are larger, heavier, and have much better trucks, the MDC was famous for cracked sideframes.

In fact, anyone in San Diego that wants some MTH cars cheap, come by. I wanted ore cars, and did not want to pay the LGB prices. Now it turns out, to my dismay, that Santa Fe NEVER had those cute little ore cars. Drat.

Regards, Greg

Hi Gregg, I figure you meant to say MDC ore cars?? If you've got MTH cars for sale let me know and I'll figure a way out (friend in the area) to get them.

Posted By Jerry Barnes on 10/26/2008 10:49 AM
Here's a shot of a UP Caboose in Cozad, NE, parked at the old train station.

Closeup of the Trucks

im no caboose expert or nothin but this caboose looks an alful lot alike the one USA offers now no???? in mean the trucks look different but on the whole looks good to me no...
Nick..

Posted By nick s. on 10/26/2008 10:58 AM

im no caboose expert or nothin but this caboose looks an alful lot alike the one USA offers now no???? in mean the trucks look different but on the whole looks good to me no...
Nick..

It's close, but there are some major differences. One obvious difference is the cupola. It's not flush to the sides on the USA caboose. This is the USA caboose I believe you're referring to:

But I don't expect USA, or any manufacturer in large scale to model a specific UP prototype. While there may be enough demand in HO and other scales, I doubt there is enough in large scale. The extended vision is a very common late era caboose and is appropriate for many railroads. Although I didn't find any photos of a UP prototype.

However the USA bay window caboose is pretty close to real UP bay window cabeese:

UP Bay Window Caboose

I plan to make the UP caboose that is in Cozad, per the pix I took. I found these plans in an old decal book I got off ebay:

I adjusted the above plan to a size/look that fits in good with the MDC cars I use in my freight trains. I have the USA UP caboose with the larger cupola on top but want to get away from it. Figured to alter some trucks to get close to the ones on the Cozad caboose.

Enginear, you are right, meant to say MDC, not MTH... Chuck is getting to me ha ha!

Paul, I think they are new cars, they do not look the same as the lionel. I have two the the USAT cars so have seen them in person, and have seen several pictures of the lionels.

(Why is everyone so focused on believing USAT did not design these from scratch?)

They are definitely not MDC cars, I have these side by side at home. I seriously doubt that USAT bought the molds from lionel.

I'll look up more pictures of the lionel... and see if I can post the photos. The USAT site only had drawings last time I was there.

Regards, Greg

The New Haven version will DEFINITELY be going on my "MUST-BUY LIST"
- should go perfect with the Aristo RS-3 (if they ever get around to producing the New Haven paint scheme
they were talking about for this year!). Need a New Haven freight train to complement my PA-powered USA Trains "Merchant's Limited" streamliner!
(For days when I wanted to play "mainline standard gauge" vs. (mostly Shay-powered)
"narrow-gauge logging / mining railroad!). I was actually contemplating kitbashing / scratchbuilding a caboose along these lines, since nothing else on the market remotely resembles them.

Mark, the non-McGinnis paint scheme you suggested would be nice to see as well; I'd settle for either one (judging by the line drawing on the USA Trains site, though, looks like they're planning on doing the McGinnis scheme) . The modernistic block "NH" scheme was maybe the ONLY good thing that incompetent crook McGinnis did
while he ran the rest of the New Haven into the ground.

Tom

Tom,

Why wait for the green/orange RS-3? There are a lot of NH road units out there, inlcuding protoypical FA-FB, GP-9, 44 ton switcher, and U-25-B!!

" Tom,

Why wait for the green/orange RS-3? There are a lot of NH road units out there, inlcuding protoypical FA-FB, GP-9, 44 ton switcher, and U-25-B!!"

Mark, I was after the one of the RS-3's specifically because I remember watching them switch the former Bay Street yard (now long gone
other than overgrown mainline track that used to run down to Newport RI) back when I was maybe 4 ~ 5 years old.
I got lucky & picked one of the McGinnis - schemed ones off of eBay about a month or so ago.
I'll still go for one of the Alpert-schemed ones if Aristo ever gets around to producing it.
By the way - it makes for a NICE-looking
New Haven commuter train at the head of a couple of USA streamlined coaches!

(I've got pictures, just haven't downloaded them from the camera yet).

Tom

Tom,

I know what you mean. My friend Chris has a Alpert schemed RS-3, #529. Combining aristo and usa passenger equipment affords a realistic looking New Haven train, minus broken windows and road grime.

I had to let my membership lapse, otherwise, I'd be able to show you the pictures! Here's Jim's video, which contains some footage of that train:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUPosrgEjJs

George told me that no RS-3s are scheduled for this year. Oh well, whatever.

Mark

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.