G Scale Model Train Forum banner

USA Trains New Center Cupola Caboose

12K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  markoles 
Mark, do you have some info about your statement "I thought USA was done with new large scale products." ?

I have heard no such rumors ... They did come out with the docksider, the ore cars, and the center cupola caboose recently.

They also recently added two new streamliner cars, the RPO and the baggage.

Wondering what the source of your comment is, just in case there is something going on.

(I do know that Aristo backed out of making more smoothsides after promising two, and then one new one, and it's been over a year since Aristo promised an updated run of streamliners, and then only built one road name in that time, these are facts)

Regards, Greg

I think that the street prices of both the AML and the USAT would be close.

The AML stuff tends to be a bit more finicky on track, but I would suspect it has greater detail, having seen one personally. This will be interesting.

Regards, Greg

p.s. Mark, you have forgotten the ore cars and the docksider when you say the caboose is the first new thing in years... so your stetement is not true.

and you said "I thought USA was done with new large scale products"

That is WHY people are taking exception to your statements. Both of your statements were incorrect. Not true.

If you say USAT slowed down introduction of new stuff, that would be accurate, saying they are out of the 1:29 market, people will not agree with you.

No one is rah rah happy like the Aristo rah rah.. just deal in facts and you will be fine.

Yeah, I wish USAT came out with products as often as Aristo, but if the wheels came loose on USAT locos like they do on Aristo steamers, then I would be unhappy.

If USAT put the undersides of the box cars on backwards like Aristo I would be unhappy.

If the coupler mounting pad for a Kadee on a USAT did not work, and was the wrong height and location like on an Aristo I would be unhappy.

So I cannot bash USAT for not turning out cars and locos at a high rate, I'm happy with their quality, and I'm making the assumption that quality takes more time and money.

Mark, the USAT ore cars are completely new and 1:29, and not 1:32 as the MDC. I have both and I can tell you the USAT ones are larger, heavier, and have much better trucks, the MDC was famous for cracked sideframes.

In fact, anyone in San Diego that wants some MTH cars cheap, come by. I wanted ore cars, and did not want to pay the LGB prices. Now it turns out, to my dismay, that Santa Fe NEVER had those cute little ore cars. Drat.

Regards, Greg

Enginear, you are right, meant to say MDC, not MTH... Chuck is getting to me ha ha!

Paul, I think they are new cars, they do not look the same as the lionel. I have two the the USAT cars so have seen them in person, and have seen several pictures of the lionels.

(Why is everyone so focused on believing USAT did not design these from scratch?)

They are definitely not MDC cars, I have these side by side at home. I seriously doubt that USAT bought the molds from lionel.

I'll look up more pictures of the lionel... and see if I can post the photos. The USAT site only had drawings last time I was there.

Regards, Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.