G Scale Model Train Forum banner

USA Trains New Center Cupola Caboose

12K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  markoles 
Wow, That was a surprise! I thought USA was done with new large scale products.

USA - IF you are reading, Please don't make another McGinnis scheme caboose for the New Haven!! If they aren't going to do an NE-6 caboose, at least put a steam era paint scheme on it! There's already the NH extended vision caboose made how many years ago and still in stock! Oh well, the undecorated, painted Red should be good enough for me and my steam era New Haven.
Here's a pic of the scheme I'd prefer...from
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures/9282/110186MB.jpg

I know, I know, a NE-6 caboose is not the same as the Northeast Caboose planned by USA, but it is closer than anything out there now.

But, at $199 list? That seems high, doesn't it? Or am I just getting old. That means a street price of around $130? Might be a be a while for me. I'm sure this will make lots of folks happy!
I hope they are going to put in an auto-shut off for the smoke unit...not that I run USA smoke units anymore.
Mark

No insider information, just my observations that USA has slowed their new product offerings to a trickle. The recent 0-6-0T has been around for a few years, and the RPO and Baggage likewise have been around for a few years in preproduction models. Not bashing USA and not sure why my comments draw negative comments about other manufacturers!! Just an observation that they haven't brought out many new products in the last two years or so. This caboose is the first truly new product from them in a long long time. Then again, their product line is extensive and covers many different eras, so it is probably a case of trying to recoup some of their investment before producing more models.

Chuck,

That is interesting about a B6. I heard that project was still born. It was announced after the Hudson, but no further info has come out. But, seeing as how USA has followed Lionel's strategy, it wouldn't surprise me if they went forward with it. Honestly, other than PEnnsy fans, who will want one after American Mainline's USRA 0-6-0 comes out (in electric and live steam for less than $1000, no less)?

Wouldn't it have been awesome if USA had done for steam locomotives what they did for diesels?

Mark

Greg,

No one is rah rah happy like the Aristo rah rah.. just deal in facts and you will be fine.
I understand the second part of your sentence, but don't get the first.

Yeah, I wish USAT came out with products as often as Aristo, but if the wheels came loose on USAT locos like they do on Aristo steamers, then I would be unhappy.

If USAT put the undersides of the box cars on backwards like Aristo I would be unhappy.

If the coupler mounting pad for a Kadee on a USAT did not work, and was the wrong height and location like on an Aristo I would be unhappy.

So I cannot bash USAT for not turning out cars and locos at a high rate, I'm happy with their quality, and I'm making the assumption that quality takes more time and money.

1. Agreed. I only have one aristo steamer, and its wheels came loose. I paid $250 for it brand new, and knew the wheels would probably be loose. Was I happy about it? Not really. Was I more annoyed that I had to paint the wheels and siderods? Yes.

2. Me too. Haven't had any new boxcars with that issue.

3. Doesn't apply to me, so I couldn't care less.

4. I haven't bashed USA at all. I don't know how much more money it takes, when the USA diesels and freight cars cost about what the Aristo stuff costs. LGB was typically more expensive until they started making some things in China. Before that, USA and ARisto's locomotives were all much more reasonably priced.

I appreciate your thoughts and can see where my word choice might have caused some folks to take exception, but feel I have made statements based on my observations. I apologize to all if my comments were viewed in that light.

Here's my impression based on the available information I have (which is website data and catalogs only): I don't consider the ore cars 'new', since they are MDC's ore cars that have been remade. The 0-6-0T has been around in a model form for at least 2 years, but is only now getting to the market. The RPO, Combine, and baggage car are pictured on pages 45-46 of the 05-06 USA catalog.

I'm not putting USA trains down. I like their trains and own several. The diesels and the freight cars I've got are well made. I just have not heard or seen anything from them in the past year to 18 months about any brand new products. It was based on that fact (the silence) that my thoughts were that USA was done making new models, and would be content to produce their current product line. Given that they have an extensive offering, from switchers, early diesels, 2nd generation diesels, modern diesels and a plethora of freight and passenger cars to go with it, they have their bases fairly well covered.

From the webpage, this new caboose looks to be pretty sweet. Brand new caboose trucks? What are caboose trucks!? Have to do some research. I never even thought about the trucks, figuring that typical freight trucks were the order of the day. Plus the circuitry to keep the marker lights lit when the train stops? Sweet! And a brakeman? Raising the bar, for sure!

Better?

Mike - I've been watching your B6 project. Looking good!!

Mark

Tom,

Why wait for the green/orange RS-3? There are a lot of NH road units out there, inlcuding protoypical FA-FB, GP-9, 44 ton switcher, and U-25-B!!

Tom,

I know what you mean. My friend Chris has a Alpert schemed RS-3, #529. Combining aristo and usa passenger equipment affords a realistic looking New Haven train, minus broken windows and road grime.

I had to let my membership lapse, otherwise, I'd be able to show you the pictures! Here's Jim's video, which contains some footage of that train:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUPosrgEjJs

George told me that no RS-3s are scheduled for this year. Oh well, whatever.

Mark

Tom,

I don't think they ever planned an Alpert schemed version. Just the green and orange scheme, most likely the hot dog scheme. That's the one I like the best. My buddy Chris has a custom built RS-1 (S-4 shells, boards, and aristo trucks) in the hot dog scheme and it is a beautiful scheme. He also has one of the NH RS-3s like yours that he just retrucked and reboarded. I think he even painted the brass handrails orange. Looking forward to seeing the pair run together at some point.

Nice pictures, by the way. Those streamliners are great!!

Mike - I'd guess you are right on the delivery!!

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.