G Scale Model Train Forum banner

USA Trains New Center Cupola Caboose

12K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  markoles 
The New Haven version will DEFINITELY be going on my "MUST-BUY LIST"
- should go perfect with the Aristo RS-3 (if they ever get around to producing the New Haven paint scheme
they were talking about for this year!). Need a New Haven freight train to complement my PA-powered USA Trains "Merchant's Limited" streamliner!
(For days when I wanted to play "mainline standard gauge" vs. (mostly Shay-powered)
"narrow-gauge logging / mining railroad!). I was actually contemplating kitbashing / scratchbuilding a caboose along these lines, since nothing else on the market remotely resembles them.

Mark, the non-McGinnis paint scheme you suggested would be nice to see as well; I'd settle for either one (judging by the line drawing on the USA Trains site, though, looks like they're planning on doing the McGinnis scheme) . The modernistic block "NH" scheme was maybe the ONLY good thing that incompetent crook McGinnis did
while he ran the rest of the New Haven into the ground.

Tom

" Tom,

Why wait for the green/orange RS-3? There are a lot of NH road units out there, inlcuding protoypical FA-FB, GP-9, 44 ton switcher, and U-25-B!!"

Mark, I was after the one of the RS-3's specifically because I remember watching them switch the former Bay Street yard (now long gone
other than overgrown mainline track that used to run down to Newport RI) back when I was maybe 4 ~ 5 years old.
I got lucky & picked one of the McGinnis - schemed ones off of eBay about a month or so ago.
I'll still go for one of the Alpert-schemed ones if Aristo ever gets around to producing it.
By the way - it makes for a NICE-looking
New Haven commuter train at the head of a couple of USA streamlined coaches!

(I've got pictures, just haven't downloaded them from the camera yet).

Tom

Mark, here's the pictures for you...

This one's slightly blurry
-

- Both shots were taken with the cell phone camera (Apple iPhone 3G), & the cloudiness made for slow shutter speeds (& this was a try at an "action" shot
). I added some lead weights to RS-3's fuel tank to enable it to get 2 or 3 of those HEAVY
USAT coaches up the 3% grade. Too bad on the news on the availability (or more accurately, the lack thereof!
) on the Alpert - schemed RS-3's.
(Hope USA is better on the new caboose!).
Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.