G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm getting my USA Hudson conversion to the MTH Proto-Sound 2 Control pretty much wrapped so I thought that I'd share it with folks on the forum!!

Here's the basic PS2 electronic install...

Here's a comparison shot of the crappy stock TAStudios smokeunit and the excellent MTH Hudson type...

Here's the factory swtch box that's been somewhat modified as follows, PS2 battery charge port, light switch controls both engine & tender marker/classification lights and the smoke switch still controls the MTH smoke unit on/off but only in conventional operating mode.

This switch box on the firemans side controls the track polarity via the sound on/off switch. The center hole will be left blank but the round hole will have a round volume knob/potentiometer again used only under conventonal control.

Here's a short video and again a thanks to Raymond for his expert advise & wisdom with this conversion...

USA Hudson Under MTH DCS

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey Chuck, holly Cow. Now that's called "smoke'm if you've got'm". Two pictures did not show up. The ps2 install and the smoke comparison of the TAS and Proto2. Now I'll bet that hudson is your favorite, Joe

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They should show up now as I was editng the size as they were way too big...like 1024 wide...ooops!!

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe, I'm tellin' ya, yes it is my favorite but I still have a few things to work on before I'm officially done...like getting some smoke to emit from cylinders..maybe..

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Chuck you did it!!!!! good for you...i'll be a S.O.B.
you did it!!!!!!! you just gave me a stiffy
...... i cant believe you drilled out that motor and got the flywheel on it? you da man..... Ray you watching RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!! sweet sweet sweet....... chuck i have a blank check written out to you name your price$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ oooo by the way did i say name your price $$$$$$$$$$$$ i can always use a 4th usa hudson best 1/29th scaled loco ever made..
Nick.....

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greg, I like those TAStudios smoke units as much as I like Team Large Scale...

Nick, yeah that flywheeling bit is a major PIA...

Here's the armature removed from the motor...

Chucked in the lathe and drilling...

Back together and not much shaft poking thru to work with...

Turn a flywheel outta brass and install...this is the first flywheel and it proved to be to small...endedup with the largest that would fit..2"!!

Next loco I attempt will be either a K4 that I recently aquired or a Great Trains F-40PH...

·
Registered
938 Posts
Congrats on your (near) completion and great job! This is probably the first engine with DCS that has the MTH smoke unit in it.

LOL I sure am Nick and have my pencil and paper out taking notes. ;)" src="http://www.mylargescale.com/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wink.gif" align="absMiddle" border="0" /> You know what he's going to convert next dont you?

You are getting great smoke velocity out of that thing. Do you charge extra to get it to blow those cool *** smoke rings? LOL Personally I think the engine is just showing off. The only one I've ever seen do that is my MTH Hudson and it only does it every now and then.

I remember seeing the Big Boy video and the low smoke velocity with the stock units in it. Maybe can post it here, it might provide some sort of idea / comparison Joe is mentioning?

I was really disappointed with what I saw in the Big Boy video as I was hoping I could use them in conversions with really small boilers. Do you think the stock smoke unit fan would push more air if it was controlled by the DCS board? And what doesn't make sense to me is that the aristocraft smoke units have a much greater smoke velocity than the TA ones in the Big Boy and the Aristo has a tiny little fan motor.

Raymond

·
Super Modulator
20,526 Posts
Most G scale locos do not have flywheels!

The rotational mass of the drivetrain is usually enough, and it really does not make much difference in running, from many people investigating... Aristo steamers have brass "flywheels" between gearboxes at each axle, and it does not make them run any different than their diesels with the same gearboxes and no flywheels.

Greg

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Johnny, Wow!! I've forgotten all about this thread..

No, The USAT Hudson's don't have flywheels factory installed but it really isn't that big of a job to do. What's odd is that the USAT Big Boy, 0-6-0 Docksider and all of the 6 wheeled diesel drive blocks have flywheels. Infact I'll bet that close to 50% of all large scale engines come equipped with flywheels as they really do make a huge difference in performance unless the drivetrain can freewheel and to the best of my knowledge only the AML K4 can do this.

Raymond, Since I posted about this conversion a year ago much headway has been made into getting the stock USA smoke units to perform magnificently

·
Super Modulator
20,526 Posts
Don't want to start a fight Chuck, but if I am wrong: "Most G scale locos do not have flywheels! ", I'd want to be corrected.

The 6 wheeled USAT blocks don't have flywheels as I remember, am I wrong?

The 4 wheeled USAT blocks don't have flywheels.

The 6 wheeled Aristo blocks do

The 4 wheeled Aristo blocks do not.

The Aristo steamers have flywheels.

I do not believe all the Bachmann locos have flywheels.

All MTH do of course.

In terms of numbers, Aristo far outsells MTH and USAT. The number of 6 wheeled locos is fewer than 4 wheeled diesels, both in models offered and numbers produced, definitely for Aristo and USAT, I do not have the G scale numbers for NTH. So, I would say again, most G scale locomotives do not have flywheels.

Please let me know where I am wrong, I really do not want to present incorrect information.

Regards, Greg

p.s. I am making no judgement on how hard it is to retrofit a flywheel, looks pretty easy on Chuck's lathe!

·
Registered
301 Posts
While it is may be true that
". . . Aristo steamers have brass "flywheels" between gearboxes at each axle, and it does not make them run any different than their diesels with the same gearboxes and no flywheels.. . . "

I believe that the aristo flywheels are not motor mounted but (as I remember) are on the part of the drive train that has lower RPM's that the motor shaft. This matters if you want a big flywheel effect. Years ago there was a traction modeler whose O gauge trolleys (Sacramento Northern Interurbans, scratchuilt) had big flywheels on the motors. If the train derailed and lost contact with power, it just kept going, even if it fell to the floor...

Greg

·
Super Modulator
20,526 Posts
Aristo Steam motor block (from a Mallet)

The motor is the silver part at extreme right, it drives a geabox, and the other side of the gearbox drives a flywheel, etc. This is the Aristo "prime mover" modular gearbox which is used in the more current locomotives, all 3 axle motor blocks, the GP40, and all the steamers except the 0-4-0.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Tom,[/b]

Aristo flywheels do run the same RPM as the motor shaft, They all run straight inline with the motor shaft.
[/b]
Rex[/b]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well Greg, who cares which manufacture has flywheels or not. There are severial people in the business that will make a flywhell to fit and work in your
loco for a charge. I have a USA J1e Hudson that will be convered sometime soon and the person that does my loco's does a very good job and the
converision will be a MTH DCS. I love my MTH DCS products and they have up dates very regularly and I don't hear of other manufactures having
improved updates. I have read some of your opinion about MTH and If you don't like them, then don,t buy !

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
I would certainly care whether or not a loco had a flywheel. If I were planning to convert a loco to MTS, it make a significant difference in the cost and complexity of the job. I would certainly want to know because it would probably mean the difference between doing the job myself or sending it away to someone else. I think Greg's done us a favor by posting it.

·
Super Modulator
20,526 Posts
Stevie, I was only objecting to the statement:

" Infact I'll bet that close to 50% of all large scale engines come equipped with flywheels" (From Chuck)

It's not true... you missed the point... read carefully...

Johnnyjt asked: "Do all USAT Hudsons lack flywheels?"

I stated that most G scale locos do not have flywheels...

Chuck said they did...

Why did I respond? Because someone asked a question, AND I gave careful consideration (and continue to do so) to going 1:32 and to MTH...

I also considered the costs and effort of conversion of my 1:29 locos... There's some great things about the MTH system, and more to come I hear...

So, I knew the answer... because I actually have looked into it...

Greg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well Greg, I appreciate your feelings about this subject, this a costly hobby but I came into this hobby with the idea of modeling after a certain road and I realized that I would have a few conversions because : not every supplier had the engine I needed so I was smart enough to put my math hat on ond come up with a budget for purchase plus conversions. I also do something else, I read these forums that people like yourself give all these suggestions to
and then I call a supplier and talk with there techs explaining that a fellow by the name of Greg said this or that about there product and you should hear there responce. Buy the way Greg, when you say things like I knew the answer........ because I actually have looked into it... Could you tell us where you got the info so we can see it ourselves. My point here is that if you want to be in this hobby bring your cash or learn how to do this yourself because those who are doing the conversion are charging for the time that it would take you plus parts. Stevieb

1 - 20 of 40 Posts