G Scale Model Train Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Posted By markoles on 24 Nov 2010 08:28 AM
EMD,

Sorry, I didn't realize you were creating the posts yourself, it looked to me like you were just typing in the details that are listed on USA's website. I meant no offense by my post. Just a lot of information thrown up in to a single thread by a newcomer.

I have a few pieces of USAT collected over the years. Some of it gets run, like the 70 ton hopper. Others, like the wood sided reefers, see less action these days. I tend to think of their woodside reefer "American" series in the 1/22.5 category, like the LGB.

What's the most random piece you've seen? I have a friend who got one of the San Val "SOFA KING" boxcars a few years ago. Those are great!

markoles,

No big deal, it's alright and no offense taken. Your friend has a very rare piece of USA Trains rolling stock. The "Sofa King" was a custom run limited edtion made by USA Trains and not very many were made. I only saw one so far in person, your friends would make 2.

It's funny how you brought up the LGB subject. Yeah most of know LGB is 1:22.5 scale ratio. I have been involved on other boards about many discussion how LGB really never stuck to that one scale ratio when they made different rolling stock. In reality it has been the opinion of myself and many others that the LGB woodside reefer is really 1:24 scale ratio. If you take the USA Trains American Series woodside reefer and set it right next to a LGB woodside reefer, they are very hard to tell apart. Charles Ro was impressed by the LGB woodside reefer so when he finally came out with his versions they would match the LGB ones so they would look good together when pulled in a long string.

As fas as the most random pieces that I most often are the USA Trains woodside reefers, they are Charles Ro most favorite piece of rolling stock which explains why 500 different themed woodside reefers has produced to date.

EMD Trainman

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
EMD Trainman,

I find all the USAT info. very interesting.

I have mostly Aristo-Craft products, but have been getting other companies products (AML & USAT) in the last couple of years, too.
I decided to get and got two SP USAT SD70s. One of the convincing reasons I got these (of the newer production run) was they were NOT equipped with traction tires that is so common to most USAT diesels.
(I prefer not to have traction tires, one reason being as a fail-safe wheel slip action should a mishap occur, and I don't mind to MU several locos to gain needed traction.)

That said, it's my understanding that USAT seems to be going away from using traction tires on the locos. Can you authoritatively comment on this?

Thank you,
-Ted

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
As fas as the most random pieces that I most often are the USA Trains woodside reefers, they are Charles Ro most favorite piece of rolling stock which explains why 500 different themed woodside reefers has produced to date

What is the most rare piece of rolling stock you own? I tend to think of my Squirrel Brand Peanuts reefer as being pretty rare. That is to say, I have never seen anyone else with one. What attracted me to that car was the band The Squirrel Nut Zippers. It isn't worth anything since I have run it and modified the detail parts so that they'd fit.

I have a few of the USAT catalogs and that is far and away their most prevalent product. You are right, they are almost exact duplicates of the LGB reefer, so whatever scale that is. I just assumed 1/22.5 since that's what most of their american narrow gauge has been considered.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Maybe not enough traffic on his site? Most of the posts occured yesterday appear to be cut and paste jobs, if you look at the time stamp.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Somewhere on line there is a complete listing off all the USA woodside "Billboard" reefers.
Both Custom runs and standard runs.
I lost the link.
It was approaching 500 different units if I remember right.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Im a big fan of USA trains locomotives..the detail is excellent..
One thing they always have big problems with though is paint scheme accuracy..
Their Lehigh Valley GP38-2 is wrong in EVERY possible detail..
VERY wrong color red..(its practically brown)
no nose stripes.
diamond on the nose is far too large.
lettering on the side is far too wide..

Its like they did no research at all..
2 minutes with google images was all they needed.
Its so bad I wont even buy one..
Someday I plan to do a trio of LV GP38-2's, but I will have to strip the shells and paint them myself,
and design my own decals..

Their LV Alco PA is much better..graphics are quite good,
but again, the Red is quite a bit off..its far too dark and dull of a red..Same with S4.

I know other road names are quite bad too..
look at the CSX GP38-2 and SD40-2:

http://www.usatrains.com/r22203.html

http://www.usatrains.com/r22304.html

The light grey on the top of the engine is actually BLUE on the USA trains engine!
The real CSX scheme has never been blue there..its always been perfectly neutral grey:
http://news.gaurc.us/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/csx2617_2.jpg
how can you make a mistake like that?

So in general I like their engines..but they really need to improve on their painting..its been quite bad, and needlessly so..
its just as easy to get it right..

Scot

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
People,

He has every rite as you do to post his info here,

If you dont like it dont look

I for one dont do blogs or other things like that, so the info being posted here is good for me

After all this is a train site

ONE AGAIN IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT READ IT.................

Keep posting Shawn

Some of the info i didnt know

And thank you............

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
Probably the most unique piece of rolling stock I owned & sold at a handsome profit on Ebay years later, was the Budweiser Clydesdales piggyback car. I picked it up on clearance at the haooby shop I worked at back in the 90's. When I started to watch and use Ebay I noted tht it was going for big bucks when it showed up. I timed it right and got a good return on my investment.

Bottom line (flame me if you like) I've got a little bit of most every brand at this point and not having a layout to run it on means I am a collector and not a hobbiest presently. Beyond that I am a fan of all the brands of train manufacturers BUT not a fanatic.

Chas

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Scottychaos,

I agree not all of the USA Trains paint schemes are correct. I have approach Charlie on that issue and he stated that it would drive him crazy to look at every paint scheme for every railroad that was made. Juts like the F-3 locomotive in the Rio Grande name for example, depending on what year you wanted to model depends on what color scheme it had unless you painted it in the as delivered paint scheme. Thats what USA Trains did on the EMD GP-9, it was painted in the as delivered paint scheme and is the most accurate paint scheme for Rio Grande has done. As for the USA Trains GP-30 Rio Grande units, well they go one right in a sense. USA Trains painted the Rio Grande GP-30 with the large Rio Grande speed lettering. This would only be correct for one locomotive which got wreck, then repainted with the Large Rio Grande speed lettering. The rest are suppose to have the Small Rio Grande lettering.

In the end I could pick on any manufacturers paint scheme such as the very early run of the FA units from the "A" camp in the Rio Grande name, those were more of a "Maze Yellow" than a nice Rio Grande yellow, but I bought them anyway because such paint detail did not bother me. Like you said we could always go back and make our own, but didn't alot of "Large Scale" people start out "scratch building" thier own stuff anyway? Most of us today rely on commercial models and I'm no exception so I accept what comes out because we sure don't have the choices like the N scale modelers have.

EMD Trainman

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
To my mind by posting all the USAT info here and on his USAT group site, Shawn has filled a void (service) that was previously unavailable. Until recently I had no idea the huge number of USA Trains product that is out there and I find it immensely helpful in knowing what was/is available in roadnames.

So keep up the good work Shawn. Much appreciated.

Thanks
Gary Yarde

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Posted By wchasr on 24 Nov 2010 01:24 PM
Probably the most unique piece of rolling stock I owned & sold at a handsome profit on Ebay years later, was the Budweiser Clydesdales piggyback car. I picked it up on clearance at the haooby shop I worked at back in the 90's. When I started to watch and use Ebay I noted tht it was going for big bucks when it showed up. I timed it right and got a good return on my investment.

Bottom line (flame me if you like) I've got a little bit of most every brand at this point and not having a layout to run it on means I am a collector and not a hobbiest presently. Beyond that I am a fan of all the brands of train manufacturers BUT not a fanatic.

Chas

Chas, yeah the Clydesdale piggyback was one of many of the "rare" USA Trains rolling stock that goes for big bucks today. Nothing wrong with being a fan of all manufacturers, I own a couple LGB rolling stock and 3 Aristo trains. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you almost. I consider myself a collector also, although I do own 300ft of track that I can run my trains on, there is now scenery what so ever. I just enjoy watching my train collection in action. Yep, I can be a fanatic which is in my personality. I would never flame anyone for buying or investing into other brands.

EMD Trainman

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Posted By Nicholas Savatgy on 24 Nov 2010 12:18 PM
People,

He has every rite as you do to post his info here,

If you dont like it dont look

I for one dont do blogs or other things like that, so the info being posted here is good for me

After all this is a train site

ONE AGAIN IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT READ IT.................

Keep posting Shawn

Some of the info i didnt know

And thank you............

Nick thax for your support on the subject. One day our grand children or great grand children will grow up and a few will want to carry on tradition in our hobby, so the information will be there for them to see. I'm no different than someone or a site that has collected info on LGB, Kalamazoo, etc. and has listed them by individual catagories.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Posted By jebouck on 24 Nov 2010 12:13 PM
Somewhere on line there is a complete listing off all the USA woodside "Billboard" reefers.
Both Custom runs and standard runs.
I lost the link.
It was approaching 500 different units if I remember right.

Yes, many people have approached me for permission to re-list my information else where and have given it many times. So no doubt you may have run into that list somewhere which is the most common one to be re-posted

EMD Trainman

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Posted By markoles on 24 Nov 2010 12:06 PM
Maybe not enough traffic on his site? Most of the posts occured yesterday appear to be cut and paste jobs, if you look at the time stamp.

Yes, very observant, I have saved all of my over of research for the past 10 years onto my computer. So yes a basic cut and paste is all I need to do to re-list any information. I'm not worried about how much traffic I have on my site, if someone wants to join thats fine if they don't thast fine also.

EMD Trainman

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Posted By EMD Trainman on 24 Nov 2010 01:30 PM
Scottychaos,

I agree not all of the USA Trains paint schemes are correct. I have approach Charlie on that issue and he stated that it would drive him crazy to look at every paint scheme for every railroad that was made. Juts like the F-3 locomotive in the Rio Grande name for example, depending on what year you wanted to model depends on what color scheme it had unless you painted it in the as delivered paint scheme.

Thats an unacceptable excuse..
what about a locomotive that had ONE and only one paintscheme?
The LV GP38-2's (twelve of them) had only one LV paintscheme..
and they were all identical (apart from road number)
there was no variation at all..
and still USA got it wrong in every possible detail..
see for yourself:

http://www.usatrains.com/jpg/r22202.jpg

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/3/5/0/8350.1231894100.jpg

wrong color
wrong diamond
no nose stripes
font on the side looks like they just used "whatever was close enough"..
the lettering is far too "fat"..its just a terribly designed and weak paintscheme all around..
no getting around it, and there is no excuse..pictures of the real thing are plentiful..

and how do explain the light blue instead of grey on the CSX units?
that was a very standardized paint scheme, used on thousands of CSX units for a decade or more..
no variation at all..
and still they got it wrong..the COLOR wrong! and grey is not hard to get right!

thats just lazy..

Scot

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Posted By Scottychaos on 24 Nov 2010 02:06 PM
Posted By EMD Trainman on 24 Nov 2010 01:30 PM
Scottychaos,

I agree not all of the USA Trains paint schemes are correct. I have approach Charlie on that issue and he stated that it would drive him crazy to look at every paint scheme for every railroad that was made. Juts like the F-3 locomotive in the Rio Grande name for example, depending on what year you wanted to model depends on what color scheme it had unless you painted it in the as delivered paint scheme.

Thats an unacceptable excuse..
what about a locomotive that had ONE and only one paintscheme?
The LV GP38-2's (twelve of them) had only one LV paintscheme..
and they were all identical (apart from road number)
there was no variation at all..
and still USA got it wrong in every possible detail..
see for yourself:

http://www.usatrains.com/jpg/r22202.jpg

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/3/5/0/8350.1231894100.jpg

wrong color
wrong diamond
no nose stripes
font on the side looks like they just used "whatever was close enough"..
the lettering is far too "fat"..its just a terribly designed and weak paintscheme all around..
no getting around it, and there is no excuse..pictures of the real thing are plentiful..

and how do explain the light blue instead of grey on the CSX units?
that was a very standardized paint scheme, used on thousands of CSX units for a decade or more..
no variation at all..
and still they got it wrong..the COLOR wrong! and grey is not hard to get right!

thats just lazy..

Scot

Oh I beieve you and those were not the only improper paint schemes. USA Trains also made improper paint schemes on the 50ft mechanical reefer cars in the Rio Grande road name. They took the paint scheme from Rio Grande insolated box cars and applied it to the mechanical reefers, that is completely wrong. Rio Grande never really ran those 50ft mechanical reefer with thier logo on it, but still I bought them just because there were neat I thought to have running around my layout. So yeah they are not perfect.

EMD Trainman

41 - 60 of 71 Posts