G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
We are just not used to so much info so fast from a new person.

Most folks share about their personal RRs or want to start.

We've gotten used to Greg now. So we are still recovering.

LOL thats a joke

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Shawn
I'm a very slow typer and I smell really bad, so I keep it short and sweet. I also just lost all my teeth so life is hard on me right now.
I love promoting the hobby and if you ever get a chance to come our way , your very welcome to visit.

Long live Aristo Craft trains..LOL

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
NTCGRR,

I will sure visit if I come out that way and thanx for the invite. I personally like watching any G scale trains in action. When I take greoup photos of the East Coast Trains Show, I make sure to take pictures of all makes G scale trains. Just because I collect USA Trains doesn't mean I can't enjoy watching your Aristo E-8 locomotives in action.

EMD Trainman

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
USA Trains New Releases

USA Trains will be introduciing new rolling stock. Here is the list of rolling stock that will be coming out.

29ft Beer Can Tank car which is now arriving at hobby stores is made from real extruded aluminum and has metal wheels, metal trucks, proper metal tank knuckle couplers and rotating wheel bearing caps.

42ft Tank Car is made from real extruded aluminum and has metal wheels, metal trucks, proper metal tank knuckle couplers and rotating wheel bearing caps

60ft Box Car which will feature for the first time on any model released "real" working cushioned couplers. Charles Ro should me on a sample how they worked and it was neat. Of course these will have body mounted couplers only,

2 Bay ACF Hopper Car, there was one prototype the was at bothe the spring and fall ECLS train show this year 2010. I can't wait for this one.

At the fall show Charles Ro told me he had 5 additional projects to the list of what you see here that he has already approved. I bet you can't wait to see what they are? Sorry no hints here.

EMD Trainman

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Posted By EMD Trainman on 23 Nov 2010 04:38 PM
NTCGRR,

I will sure visit if I come out that way and thanx for the invite. I personally like watching any G scale trains in action. When I take greoup photos of the East Coast Trains Show, I make sure to take pictures of all makes G scale trains. Just because I collect USA Trains doesn't mean I can't enjoy watching your Aristo E-8 locomotives in action.

EMD Trainman

................................................................................................
Boy.. A lot of inform. like Marty said. all at once.. OK it starting to sink in now, I think....... on what you are trying to Shawn.
BlueRegal directed me to your site to log in and check it out.. Nice link......
But, Like you, we still like to see an Aristo E-8's running down on our layout sometime being... we have gotten use to Greg E. showing off his "A-B-A ."

After note: Greg E. could just send them up here when he gets tired of running them there. We have Santa fe trackage to.
We can re-test them for you.. hehehehe

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
NTCGRR,

If you just got used to seeing Greg's A-B-A units wai until you see my USA Trains Rio Grande F3 A-B-B-A locomotive lash up in action and yes I have enough room on my indoor layout to run them. I bought both USA Trains Rio Grande F3 AB sets at the same time, Rio Grande set #2 is long oout of production and hard to find these days.

I hate to say this in this fashion, but here it goes. USA Trains doesn not keep making the same model over and over and over again. Once a production runs out and it is still in demand, USA Trains will change road numbers or discontinue the modle altogether. In the "A" camp they seem to beat the same thing to death and up to recent using unrealistic road numbers such as the catalog part numbers as a road number. USA Trains has more choices of rolling stock than any other G scale manufacturer period. There was 500 different releases of the American Series woodside reefer since 1987 and not one theme was re-used. This figure is just for one piece of USA Trains rolling stock.

EMD Trainman

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Posted By EMD Trainman on 23 Nov 2010 05:41 PM
NTCGRR,

If you just got used to seeing Greg's A-B-A units wai until you see my USA Trains Rio Grande F3 A-B-B-A locomotive lash up in action and yes I have enough room on my indoor layout to run them. I bought both USA Trains Rio Grande F3 AB sets at the same time, Rio Grande set #2 is long oout of production and hard to find these days.

I hate to say this in this fashion, but here it goes. USA Trains doesn not keep making the same model over and over and over again. Once a production runs out and it is still in demand, USA Trains will change road numbers or discontinue the modle altogether. In the "A" camp they seem to beat the same thing to death and up to recent using unrealistic road numbers such as the catalog part numbers as a road number. USA Trains has more choices of rolling stock than any other G scale manufacturer period. There was 500 different releases of the American Series woodside reefer since 1987 and not one theme was re-used. This figure is just for one piece of USA Trains rolling stock.

EMD Trainman

I luv you...

We drink from the same Kool aid

HE HE HE

USA rules Brothers

You BETCHA

LOL

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Posted By Nicholas Savatgy on 23 Nov 2010 06:04 PM
Posted By EMD Trainman on 23 Nov 2010 05:41 PM
NTCGRR,

EMD Trainman

I luv you...

We drink from the same Kool aid

HE HE HE

USA rules Brothers

You BETCHA

LOL

Oh that is just too funny. I have a sense of humor LOL

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
USA Trains different series explained

When USA Trains first came out as Ro Trains originally in 1987, there was just one series of trains. After the name changed to USA Trains in 1989, there was more product expanding to what it is today. There is now 3 different series of USA Trains and I will explain all 3 here and what the difference is.

#1 The USA American series: This is a 1:24 scale ratio series product line up which was the original product line up made by Charles Ro back in 1987. This series is not exactly the most realistic one USA Trains makes, but you don't have to worry about buying 20ft diameter curves to run any of this series on. On this series the detail parts such as grab irons and steps come in a kit bag and you install them. This series also comes with plastic wheels to further reduce costs

Here is a list of American Series rolling stock that was made.

1) Woodside Box car
2) Woodside Reefer Car
3) Simulated Steel Box car not to confused with the Ultimate series 40ft box car
4) Two Tier Auto Carrier
5) All Work Series Rolling Stock
6) Ore Car
7) Piggy Back Flat Car
8) Pipe Load Flat Car
9) Woodside Caboose
10) Center Beam Flat Car

The center beam flat car and piggy back flat car are no where near the correct size for the scale ratio, but USA Trains captures enough in the model for people to buy and you don't need 20ft diameter curves to run a full size center beam flat car in G scale.
There is no American Series locomotives at this time.

#2 The Ultimate Series: "As Real AS It Gets" was USA Trains motto when they introduced this new exciting series of more modern type rolling stock which is all 1:29 scale ratio. This is the most realistic series of rolling stock that USA Trains offers. I'm not saying they have the correct amount of rivets or brakes or exact measurements for their scale, so please no 100 responses about this is not correct or that is not correct for this road name. I'm just saying the Ultimate Series is USA Trains most realistic line up, as well as very detailed line up. There are a lot of fragile detail parts on this series also. Here is a list of Ultimate Series rolling stock that USA Trains makes. This series of rolling stock already has the detail parts already installed. This series also comes standard with a nice upgrade set of metal wheels.

1) Extruded Aluminum Passenger Car
2) Center Cupola Caboose
3) Bay Window Caboose
4) Extended Vision Caboose
5) 55ft 4 Bay ACF Hopper Car
6) 55ft Modern Tank Car
7) Depressed Center Flat Car
8) Intermodal Container Car
9) 40ft Box Car
10) 50FT Box Car
11) 40FT Reefer Car
12) 50FT Mechanical Reefer Car
13) 70 Ton 3 Bay Hopper Car
14) 10,000 Gallon Tank Carr
15) Woodchip Hopper Car
16) Intermodal 5 Unit Articulated set

Locomotives

1) Dockside 0-6-0T Switcher
2) SD70-MAC
3) PA1 / PB1
4) SD40-2
5) GP-30
6) GP38-2
7) GP-7 / GP-9
8) F3A / F3B
9) S-4 Switcher
10) NW-2 Switcher
11) 44 Tonner Switcher
12) Speeder

#3) The Prestige Series: This is USA Trains newest series and is also a 1:29 scale ratio. What makes this series different is that it's made mainly from die-cast metal and has a lot of metal detail parts making this series the Cadillac of USA Trains. This wonderful series only has locomotives in it and includes sound.

Here is a list of Prestige Series Locomotives

1) GG1 Locomotive
2) J1E Hudson
3) Big Boy Steam Locomotive

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Man that's an awful lot of Flag waving for USAT in one day (little damage control maybe??).

If their products were indeed so vastly superior to other companies, why don't they stand behind them and offer a real warranty instead of that 1 year excuse for one that they have now?

I wish that USAT and Charlie Roe really were the awesome do everything HONESTLY and forthright Run company you portray them to be, But I know first hand that this is not the case.
I was lied to over the phone and to my face, in front of my wife no less, repeatedly by this company and were it not for the help of QSI and Nik I would still have a $1700 paper weight.

So maybe a little restraint should be applied to all companies before going off the deep end for them and touting one over another as if they are some sacred cow.

Ron

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts

EMD Trainman
Me thinks you are enjoying the **** out of it!
I'm happy fo you, but not very impressed.

Have a nice dayuh.

John

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Posted By BodsRailRoad on 23 Nov 2010 07:46 PM
Man that's an awful lot of Flag waving for USAT in one day (little damage control maybe??).

If their products were indeed so vastly superior to other companies, why don't they stand behind them and offer a real warranty instead of that 1 year excuse for one that they have now?

I wish that USAT and Charlie Roe really were the awesome do everything HONESTLY and forthright Run company you portray them to be, But I know first hand that this is not the case.
I was lied to over the phone and to my face, in front of my wife no less, repeatedly by this company and were it not for the help of QSI and Nik I would still have a $1700 paper weight.

So maybe a little restraint should be applied to all companies before going off the deep end for them and touting one over another as if they are some sacred cow.

Ron

Obviously you don't get it, I made this post for USA Trains enthusiast, if you are not one then just simply don't look at it or post to it. How much or little I make to my own post is my decision not yours, just simply go past my post if you don't like it.

EMD Trainman

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Posted By Totalwrecker on 23 Nov 2010 08:19 PM

EMD Trainman
Me thinks you are enjoying the **** out of it!
I'm happy fo you, but not very impressed.

Have a nice dayuh.

John

Yes I'm having fun because that is what this hobby is all about. I don't really care if I impress anyone or not. My intent is to provide "History" on certain USA Trains products. There are some people out there interested in that subject, especially collectors.

EMD Trainman

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
To those who consider my USA Trains Information post propaganda........here are a few cold hard facts

1) USA Trains was the first large scale manufacturer to offer multiple road numbers more more realistic operating. So when you want to run a string of 4 Rio Grande 70 ton hopper cars they will all have different road numbers. The "A" camp just recently within a few years adopted the same pricipal, but I remember the days of seeing people on "A" camp layouts running running multiple same freight cars, same road name and same road number.

2) USA Trains was also the first to offer low voltage lighting

3) USA Trains was the first to offere rolling stock and locomotives with see thru grilles and see thru walkways for more realism

4) Every piece of USA Trains rolling stock, cabooses, and locomotives have working doors where applicable. Can you say that about the "A" camp 2 bay covered hopper, the 53ft evans box car, the 40ft double door box car.

5) USA Trains has won multiiple awards for thier products .

6) USA Trains offers more choices of rolling stock than any other large scale manufacturer

So with that said.............
I'm not making a propaganda thread..............these are just facts
I'm not trying to turn this forum into a USA Trains site, I already made a USA Trains Enthusiast site
I'm not trying to put anyone on a golden pedastol, but just trying to provide USA Trains information to those who want it

So far I have just listed a certain amount of infromation available to those who want it. For example, maybe there is a collector who is looking for some past USA Trains woodside reefers and would like to research to see what was made, but how would he do this since Charles Ro never kept records. He could simply look at my R1600 USA Trains woodside reefer PDF file and research every reefer made all the way back to 1987. Then he could also view my R1600 USA Trains woodside reefer photo album to see what each one looked like. As more future generation of our kids who grow up and want to get into the hobby, they won't have to spend years of researching, but could have this information at thier finger tips.........The History of USA Trains, what was produced since they opened the doors in 1987 as Ro Trains for example.

Whether you consider this helping out or propaganda is up to each individual
In the end I just consider myself helping out the collector
EMD Trainman

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
R222000 GP38-2 USA Trains Locomotive

The 5th locomotive release was the EMD GP38-2. This locomotive feature the Power Trac system,
lighted number boards, detailed interior, working smoke units, and metal hand
rails. The EMD GP38-2 was a basic release locomotive and each one was not always
detailed like the exact road name that was produced. For example there was a
GP38-2 locomotive released in the Rio Grande road name. This one is basically a
fantasy locomotive as Rio Grande never ran a EMD GP38-2 locomotive, so this one
recieved a made up road number. Other road names that did use the EMD GP38-2
just needed some detail work to make them more accurate.

Since the release of the EMD GP38-2 locomotive back from 1999, most
road names are still in production today due to their popularity. But as USA
Trains run out of stock on a certain road name, they will change the road
numbers on the next production run which always keeps a fresh set of road
numbers to offer the G scale people. Eventually if you wait long enough you
could run 4 or more GP38-2 locomotives all with the same road name but all different
road numbers. This has already happened to the USA Trains GP-9. If I collected
every road number for the GP-9 Rio Grande road name since 1998, I would be able
to run 6 Rio Grande GP-9 USA Trains locomotives together "ALL" with different
road numbers

EMD Trainman

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
EMD,

Sorry, I didn't realize you were creating the posts yourself, it looked to me like you were just typing in the details that are listed on USA's website. I meant no offense by my post. Just a lot of information thrown up in to a single thread by a newcomer.

I have a few pieces of USAT collected over the years. Some of it gets run, like the 70 ton hopper. Others, like the wood sided reefers, see less action these days. I tend to think of their woodside reefer "American" series in the 1/22.5 category, like the LGB.

What's the most random piece you've seen? I have a friend who got one of the San Val "SOFA KING" boxcars a few years ago. Those are great!

21 - 40 of 71 Posts