G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Modulator
20,590 Posts
I went there too, unfortunately the resolution is so low on many pictures that you cannot read the writing, this one is 500 x 500 pixels... seems that is the max resolution you can download.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Looks good to me when it's full screen and then you zoom in.
I think they told me years ago when I first contacted them, that some of the early scans were done when technology was not as high definition as it is today.
Maybe you were looking at one of those.
All in all, for free it's great.
I'm sure if you offer them a few dollars they will rescan one for you.
Cheers,
David

·
Super Modulator
20,590 Posts
Thanks David, I did not try the expanded view controls, the downloadable version is limited to 500 x 500, but using the zoom function on the site, and then further expanding the popup window to full screen does indeed make it readable.... and you can zoom from there.... then you can do screen capture...

On the link provided to the observation car, I did get this (just for reference)

On the left side of that drawing, looking at left to right

No measurement of the very end of the car, from the buffer to where the vestibule steps start
The length of the steps is 2’ 8”
The next measurement is 74’ 6” over the end sills
Then there is another 3’ of space
Then there is 2’ 9” of steps,
And again, there is no measurement from the steps to the buffer, or the extreme end of the car

81’ 11” is what I get without the very ends of the car on each end.

Maybe I can find a drawing that has those missing dimensions... Does this car seem representative, as we can approximated the un-measured areas.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Greg,
I think the 3' of space should be included in the 74' 6".
Here is an end of the only Pullman blueprint that I have, and it shows a vestibule dimension.
Whether ALL vestibule were the same, I don't know, but I would think they were standardised for ease of building.
The drawing is done to ½" to the foot so the diaphragm, and I 'assume' the buffer, measures the 8 ¼".
Cheers,
David

·
Super Modulator
20,590 Posts
In the first drawing, you can see the 74' 6" does not include the vestibule steps, nor the short amount further.

In the drawing above, I can see a dimension line that seems to have a dimension line that is almost to the outer edge of the diaphram, but not quite, interesting.

In any case I think the USAT heavyweights are pretty darn accurate, the width checks well, and its at least very close on length, close enough we would want the exact drawing.

But to the point of the original post, no, they are 1:29, not close to 1:32.

Greg

·
Super Modulator
20,590 Posts
Well have not been taken to task for a while, so when facts were produced, all of a sudden it went quiet. Funny how real data eventually wins out over emotion....

Greg

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hi Greg, David and Paul and thanks to Greg in giving me the answer, Unfortunatly being in the midst of building a new and quite large garden layout here in the sunny south of France, I didn't get to it until today,

so I appologise for the late response. I was interested, as I looked at photos of these cars and found them much more satisfying than the Aristo ones. (The rivets are finer, the proportions, etc.) And I thought that the coach could be a good base to make some P70 coaches that I need so much being a slobbing Pennsy fan, if they were anywhere close to 1/32 scale. You answered that question and as I have a set of J&M pullmans I was able to make a quick comparisson and they do seem to be 1/29th scale, so much for that idea, its shelved! Besides I still would have had to make a PRR four wheel truck plus many more modifications, so it is likely that I might as well start from scratch.
Right now I am very busy building a new pike which will feature an twelve arch four track brick viaduct to replicate Rockville bridge and one of my curves is exactly the same radius as Horseshoe curve and partly four tracks also. This is also to serve as a long passing siding for fifty or so cars freights. I will probably do an article on it in the G1MRA newsletter. Right now I am busy laying track and building turnouts three of which are N° 10 turnouts to enter the four track section. Hey, uploading images sure is a lot simpler with the new renovated forum, congratulations. Keep safe!

·
Super Modulator
20,590 Posts
Yes, USAT has been pretty darn true to 1:29 in their stuff (the ultimate series, not the cheapo box and reefers)... Many people have looked to the Aristo's with a 1:32 steamer since the heavyweights are not really "tall" cars, and with a big 1:32 loco, it looks all right to some.

In any case, great photos and please keep posting more on your build. Love the viaduct!

Greg

·
Registered
644 Posts
I got the idea for the viaduct on Bob Head's fabulous layout in Britain before he passed away, I copied it on my old track in Valmondois and have posted some photos in the past taken on it. Here I had the room and the desire to expand it a bit. The whole project was based on having wider radius curves than before so trains look better and we should have less rolling resistance. shortest mainline radius is 6 meter 50 and the other curve goes to 6 meter 90 almost 7 meters. Best, Simon

·
Registered
169 Posts
Simon, This reply of mine is going a bit off topic but good to see images of your new track and I do love the idea of large long viaducts as it makes a great stage for viewing the trains. I trust you still model French Nord as well as Pennsy trains and when your new layout is finished please start a new thread with many images of both Pennsy and Nord trains.
I am jealous of your wide radius curves as I am stuck with 3 meter radius.
Russell

·
Super Modulator
20,590 Posts
At this point, off topic is fine, since the OP was really that the USAT coupler height was different from Aristo (which really has been true for over 20 years ha ha).

Then it degenerated into someone else asking about the scale and an arguement and finally proof they are accurate 1:29 models.

So much more enjoyable to see a new railroad being built from a long time participant on this forum!

Greg

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thanks for the encouragements friends, I will endeavour to post another post on the layout on the apropriate forum, when it is more advanced. Sorry I "poluted" the post on USAT heavyweights. Unfortunatly for me who keeps to 1/32 strictly, as these cars and the LW cars are very nice. Many years ago when I started US prototype modeling a friend lent me the Aristo heavyweights to see how they looked behind my MTH GG1 and you really could see the scale difference, so I decided to stick with 1/32. But now I have quite a good passenger consist in that scale so it is no problem. The only thing missing really is P70 coaches, combines and some Owl eyed P54 to go with my Atlantic.(Like the "Valpo dumy", just love that nickname it had!) Russel: the layout will have one side French following the NORD Ry and the other side will be pure Pennsy. Best of two worlds.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts