G Scale Model Train Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Posted By Engineercub on 06/14/2009 9:01 AM
That is great news Nicholas! I can't wait. CSX often mixes Double Stacks and Autoracks on Intermodal trains and it doesn't drop our maximum authorized speed at all since they are both considered Intermodal quips. Mixing those two would make for some hellacious sized trains! I wonder how many Dennis Sirrine will buy hehe.

-Will

Will, If you ever get a chance to snap some photos of these trains, could you forward them to me as i would like to see that train. Gives me a lot of ideals.. thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sure thing Nick, I can send people pics from work I just have to be careful posting them. I'll get you some shots next time I catch a pig.

-Will

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
I just this morning sent them an email about the center cupola caboose. Not exactly a polite or talkative bunch. I mean, they could say "thanks for your interest" or "we're working on it," or
"we appreciate your patience" or something more specific than "the fall," which could mean anywhere between September and December. Shouldn't this count as part of customer service? Common politeness? Really makes me want to cancel the order

Anyway, here is their reply:

"From: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Center cupola caboose?
Date: July 2, 2009 9:50:43 AM EDT
To:

The fall

USA TRAINS
P.O. Box 100
Malden, MA 02148
781-322-6084

-----Original Message-----

Dear USAT:

Any idea when that center cupola caboose will appear? I've got two
pre-ordered.

Thanks"

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Write em back and tell em to "Watch Out" for the fall!!!! Don't let it hit em in the head. Cornfuse the you know what out of em!!

As a salesman we were trained to "Dazzle em with Brilliance, and Baffle em with Bullshit!!" Hah LOL The Regal pardon my french!

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Mike,

That's hilarious!! I had similar experiences when waiting for the GP-7 to be released. I ordered one after they indicated on the phone that they'd be in the warehouse 'in a couple of weeks'. That was early January 1998. By mid April, with no arrival and no more info, the answer was the same, 'in a few weeks'. So I canceled that order and got something that was available. They got kind of pissy about that but hey, it was my money and I was spending more than my original order! Some things don't change, so it would seem.

Mark

·
Super Modulator
20,514 Posts
You are kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't....

Announce early, like Aristo, and then you get burned if you are late or do not ever make it (like the SD7/9, or the new passenger cars advertised in color in the GR)

Accounce late, or do not announce until it is shipping, and when people pester you for a date and you say "the Fall", you get burned too.

Problem is, the Chinese really control the production schedules, no matter what we think.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
You could say this:

"Dear MR. X:

Thank you for your interest. USA Trains values your business, and we would like to be able to provide as accurate an estimate as possible. Unfortunately, production schedules in China are often hard to pin down. We hope to have the [insert product here] in stores by [insert date], but we cannot guarantee it."

Thanks again for your inquiry and for your business."

I mean really, how hard is that? It's really basic stuff. All I'm asking for is that the customer get something other than a brusque, half-#ss answer. You could just cut and paste most of it. If they don't know, they could just say "we don't now."

Here's something USAT could do that would be almost as easy: "If you like, we can add you name to an email list, and notify you the product ships." That would take a bit of work on USAT's part, but not much.

But then I'm only the customer, the guy spending money, the guy paying their bills. What do I know?

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
The time to worry is when it does not show up period. I'll buy it when it show up and not pre order. That way I'm not out of anything. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Looks like plenty of motive power for the train. Wonder who built the Auto racks. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
These auto racks will look good. But I don't expect them on the market until another year or so. Those center cupola cabooses have been on their website for a long time!

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
JDM:

This is a little off topic, but!!!

Nice looking train and track. It looks very nice on the crushed granite base. I had thought about putting up my train on a similar base in Sun City when we are there in the winter. So far I have put it on the Astroturff covering our patio.

Perhaps we can meet next Winter.

Chuck N

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Nice, Chuck. I'll be right over

61 - 78 of 78 Posts