G Scale Model Train Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts
the future is not in 20' diameter curve stuff, it should be targeting the more reasonable 6.5' diameter,

Apologies - I'm a 1:20.3 NG fan and my last railroad had 20' diameter curves. But I have to ask: why would anyone modelling modern standard gauge railroading want 6.5' diameter (3' 3" radius) curves?

I'll quietly wait for my LITTLE Aristo consolidation... cause that is the future of my railroad

Even a little consolidation is going to look seriously convoluted on a 6.5' diameter curve.

Yes, we all have space constraints - my (condo) garage only has 10' between the walls so that's going to be my next problem. But come on guys - let's make it look a bit prototypical and less like a toy! [Ducks and runs for cover.]

Well, Sir, I hafta admit to having 24 and 25 foot diameter curves on MY track.

Mind you, that's all there is.

Two circles, one inside the other in my 28 foot square backyard space.

I figured out that I COULD run a string of eighteen of thes new monster cars behind three Dash-9 locos, but there would only be a couple of feet between the front of the loco and the EDOT.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

It's not just a question of physical space, it's a question of the overall look and feel of the thing. We have a train snaking through a garden--we wanted a RR in our garden. Some people want operational realism. Some people would rather see a few broad sweeping curves. Some people like to have a lot of animation in the garden, some people want a rattle-trap narrow gage line. They're all good

Posted By lownote on 06/12/2009 8:00 AM
It's not just a question of physical space, it's a question of the overall look and feel of the thing. We have a train snaking through a garden--we wanted a RR in our garden. Some people want operational realism. Some people would rather see a few broad sweeping curves. Some people like to have a lot of animation in the garden, some people want a rattle-trap narrow gage line. They're all good

I agree, Mike.
I am one of those "nut jobs" that puts "S " curves in long straights to keep things more visually interesting. Never had a problem.
And as I make improvements, I plan on doing some operations too.
Ralph

I've got no USA trains... this must be the right spot!
HO taught me to see the beauty of gradual curves and trains that fit between the rails

G $cale has it's roots in the Toy industries..... big trains on unrealistic track; curves tighter than a B&O dock...

Follow this simple review: G = 1:24, O =1:48, HO (1:87) or rounded to 1:96... 10' dia. = 5'r =60", divide that by 2 for O =30"r divide again for HO rounded up=15" r

SO my 10' diameter curves are 15"r in HO, even the starter sets had 18"r Can I begin to think I run on realistic track?

After a couple of years I decided on 1:24 scale as my scale and back dated for smaller equipment that looks better to me. The Aristo stock car is too big... for my tastes, even in 1"29 and the 20' cars w/4 wheels are too toy like, for me... probably future kitbashes should I find reasonable trucks to put under them... Delton sized cars look more realistic... again to me. Yet the choices are limited.

My point is we all make concessions in large scale; Space, time and money all contribtue to the cost of the hobby. We satisfy ourselves by going after the look we want vs. the effort we wish to devote to our RR's.
There is no right and wrong way!

Greg, is that circle next to the yard a helix? Nice layout btw.

John

That looks like an awesome railroad, Greg. How about sharing some pictures of the actual railroad with us??? I know I've seen shots of the yard and a couple other areas, but I'd love to see the backyard with the big runs.

Thanks,
Ed

Discussion starter · #48 ·
Quote[ But the argument that younger people will want to model more modern stuff is probably a little doubtful.[ by Mikie.

I would disagree, choices in this hobby have been limited, so you had to run what you could get. i feel now that theres plenty more to choose from , i think you will see a shift from older stuff to more modern stuff with the younger guys cause now they can get it.. i enjoy steam and deisal so makes no differance to me, it just great to have a choice and our hobby... in my opionion it is moving toward larger layouts. the smaller ones i have visited are great but to me they are small for my taste. just look at all the new guys that post here and what there building, i think it shows that there trying to go with the rule fit the biggest curves you can the 1st time. i do shows all year long and when you have trains sitting on top of tables waiting to be run if you ask children what they what to run they almost always have asked for the desiels, not always but alot... ALL trains are cool
and to each there own but i think the next 5 years should be exciting............

Posted By Pete Thornton on 06/12/2009 7:20 AM
the future is not in 20' diameter curve stuff, it should be targeting the more reasonable 6.5' diameter,

Apologies - I'm a 1:20.3 NG fan and my last railroad had 20' diameter curves. But I have to ask: why would anyone modelling modern standard gauge railroading want 6.5' diameter (3' 3" radius) curves?

I'll quietly wait for my LITTLE Aristo consolidation... cause that is the future of my railroad

Even a little consolidation is going to look seriously convoluted on a 6.5' diameter curve.

Yes, we all have space constraints - my (condo) garage only has 10' between the walls so that's going to be my next problem. But come on guys - let's make it look a bit prototypical and less like a toy! [Ducks and runs for cover.]

All I am saying is that theres a much larger potential market in urban/suburban areas where yards happen to be tighter and must use 5, 6.5 to 8' diameter curves, than the potential market of suburban/rural guys with the larger lots that can accomodate these larger 20' diameter curves. I'm not saying not to build these uber-cars, but that manufacturers should also rememeber that focusing on items that can operate on 6.5 to 8' diameter curves makes alot more market sense than providing uber-stock to what is really a small sect of the hobby and not flood the market with uber-stock that only a few will ever buy. \ Its not about adherence to scale, its just simple numbers, thats all I'm trying to say...Maybe as time goes on we'll see which will win out, the uber layouts or the mini-layouts. I suspect it will become a rift though, like to rift in HO between round-the-roomers and 4x8ers. ;)

The circle is part of the house, there is a turret like structure in the front entry... I have to mock in the rest of the front, there is a small covered structure you walk though to get to an inner courtyard and then you get to the front door. Most of the time, I use the loop to keep all the track out of sight.

Ed, I am trying to get more panoramic views of the layout, but it is pretty curvy and shoe-horned into the back yard. My point in sharing the layout diagram is that even with a big house (4,000 sq feet) and a small lot, you CAN get 10' diameter curves and a reasonable run distance if you apply yourself. in my opinion. My yard seemed to fit the "problem yard" that was described.

Regards, Greg

I run indoor... I like to be inside, as I run/work on the layout at night when the kids are asleep, and the wife is at work. (she's a nurse)
So I can play trains until I drop... When we bought our house... I looked for a spot for the trains to go...
and I got an area in the basement that is approx 24x13 or so... not too bad for inside trains if you ask me...

I probably could have fit 8' diam curves... but then I would just have Big looping curves with no straights...

as to the consolidation, Some consolidations had flangless drivers to work the yards... s
o they looked ugly on the track in real life too...

I run a Pacific on my track, and I don't think it looks too bad...

I keep my rolling stock to the 40' variety... though I do have a few Aristo 100 ton open hoppers, and some Evans Box cars...

I run a transition type railroad... with no real time period... its anwhere from 1950 - 1980 in my world... so just about anything that looks good can run...

I have 2-4-0, 0-4-0, Pacific, critter, FA, RS3, U25, GP7, GP38 for my motive power... I think it all looks fine...
I'll post a few pics for ya when I get a chance...

to make you even more crazy... my inner line is 5' diam curves, and my yard and switches are all 4'...

and I can back a Pacific through them just fine...

Philip

When I started in HO scale in the late 70s/early 80s, 18" radius was the norn, and there were still a good number of railroads built with 15" radius. (Incidentally, 15" x 3 is 45", equal to LGB's R3, so a 1:29 train running on R3 curves is essentially the same as HO on 15" radius.) The "serious" model railroads all used 24" minimum radius, and don't even think of using something as passe as sectional track. One could have put forth a convincing argument that sectional track would go the way of the dodo in the next decade. Yet, a walk down the aisles of the HO aisle of the hobby shop clearly shows just how wrong that argument would have been. Sectional track in such small radii are still very much an integral part of the HO scale hobby.

I see the same trend in large scale. Large "fill the back yard" railroads are the "fill the basement"railroads of HO scale. The sky's the limit in terms of curve diameter, etc. in that regard--so long as you've got the ability to fill the space. (i.e., no kids, dogs, bocce ball courts, soccer fields, etc. to compete for the space.) Otherwise, the garden railroads can usually be equated to the "fill the spare bedroom" type of HO railroads--where space is a bit confined, but one can still accomodate most of the features we'd like to. That's where my railroad fits in. I cant take up the whole back yard, but I've designed it such that I can still use 10' minimum diameter curves, and still have room for typical backyard activities.

Like HO scale, however, there will always be those with even more space limits. These would be akin to the shelf railroads or tabletop railroads in HO. There's a distinct reason those small-space-trackplan books based on sectional track still sell--there's a need for them. Large scale is no different. There will always be those with small spaces and a love of big trains. Maybe a shelf railroad will work, maybe the answer is tight curves and shorter trains. No, you'll never fit a dash-9 and twenty cars on a ping-pong table railroad, but that doesn't keep anyone from having fun trying if they want to. Sure, the aesthetics might be a bit unnerving to the "purist," but what's that mean? Nothing to the person running the trains. I had a lot of fun pulling a string of 40' box cars behind a DD-40 on my old HO line (while a British intercity express made its rounds on the other track). That segment of the hobby is arguably the most important segment; the quintessential, basic "fun" crowd who just likes to see trains in motion. Take that away, and the hobby becomes too segmented to stand on its own. The special interest pursuits need that fundamental foundation.

Later,

K

Well I have been accused of being OCD due to the fact I have only been in this hobby for a little over 4 years and have acquired around 1200 feet of track & 80 some locos at last count and then there is the rolling stock. I started with one acre and I am now in the process of moving to a 2 acre place to accommodate my RR.
I will be buying several of these new cars as I am planning 40’ dia. curves on the new layout to facilitate long freights & high speed passenger traffic. I have no opinion on lot/yard size but I know I love this hobby and rejoice when any new product is offered regardless if it is something I would perchance or not.
Best, Ted

Any new tooling and train models is a good thing - especially in this economy and the overall status of Large Scale. Personally - too big and generally USA trains rolling stock has too many bits and pieces that wind up broken off. When I saw the details on the container carriers when the first came out - I proceeded to sell the one I bought. I now have a 75 yard walk to my layout plus dragging them up from the basement so less is more for me. And at maximum curves of 20 foot plus 10 foot switches - it is a no brainer for me not to purchase them...

USA trains does it right though. They just do it without any Pre Promise fanfare.

That is great news Nicholas! I can't wait. CSX often mixes Double Stacks and Autoracks on Intermodal trains and it doesn't drop our maximum authorized speed at all since they are both considered Intermodal quips. Mixing those two would make for some hellacious sized trains! I wonder how many Dennis Sirrine will buy hehe.

-Will

I think USA has a sizable market for the bigger stuff. Those who can afford it will buy in volume for the right look. So it doesn't matter to them what those of us who won't be buying, think.

Greg, thanks for the answer regarding the 'helix' doorway. I know those Calif. developer's lots all too well; elbow to elbow with a postage stamp out back. I'm a native of San Diego.

I want USA to do well with these cars, a healthy company can make more for all of us. As stated above I have none, but I'm happy for those that do and will.

I live near the UP line through Tucson, they run mostly either stack trains or autoracks as they have different destinations. I enjoy stopping for the mixed locals at crossings because they offer in visual what I try to model. A variety of cars and details, vs. 3 or so types of well cars and different names on the boxes ('tainers) and racks, after 80 or so of those I'm ready for the train to be gone.

You can't please all the people all the time...... some are going to be mighty happy with this!
I hope they buy millions, the stronger the hobby the better for all of us.

John

Posted By Pete Thornton on 06/12/2009 7:20 AM

Bang! Bang.... Bang! ......Bang!

Dang that duck can run!

Pete, Pete, Pete,

Fer sum part of the charm is that convoluted look! Oh how quickly some forget, this was a toy train market for the masses, only hobbiests moved to scale.
The dang size forces compromises, who are you to arbitrate that?

Who sez they want what? If that's the only thing that fits, then yeah according to you, they want it, but perhaps they want a toy train vs. reality.
Many are quite content to see anything run...brings out the kid in us... y'know?

A 10' garage... hmm how about one full size transfer table and repair shop. That should fit! lol No nasty curves at all!

I hope you realise this is all in good taste! And fun, if you don't spoil it for others. It's one thing to state your likes and another to decree it right for all.

You do know now don't you that we expect to see great things in your garage and no compromises allowed! Good luck buddy!

John

Also Nicholas I just got a guy into G-scale big time after seeing my USA Trains collection hehe. He has already put down 500ish feet of track , tightest curves will be 16' but mostly 20' and #6 switches (as per him buying a USA BigBoy after seeing mine). He is selling all his O-scale stuff worth about $7,000 and buying a crap ton of USA stuff. I told him about the Autorack today and he is excited. He is also an Engineer and works with me. He used to be into 6" guage live diesel but moved on to O-scale and now is obsessed with G-scale. People can't really say that Large Scale is dying lol. Also, the Center Cupola Cab is set for release on July 25th coming straight from Charles Jr.

-Will

41 - 60 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.