G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the New Zealand G1MRA newsletter, it had an article on making the USA rotary snow plow actually work. I've read many times that it does not. Michael Fueg(the author) determined the blades just flopped around, so he glued them into one position and it worked fine, but he did admit, in his part of Germany he had not had much snow to work with. Could be a starting point for someone that has one to get it blowing.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It does plow, but only in fresh powder. Has to be real fluffy stuff too.

Never thought of gluing the floppy blades together. Interesting idea.

A new blade made of metal shaped like the real thing would work the best. I saw some nice mill work done like this on a G scale German plow...can't remember the link though.

Part of the problem with the USA plow is even on full track power it doesn't spin fast enough and in snowy conditions track power is not the most reliable. I hope to fix this by changing our rotary to battery power.

It's a very nice model and an ingenious way of reusing one of their maintenance of way car bodies. It would be an even nicer model if it came with a tender. We modified an old Delton/Aristo C-16 tender for ours. Since our layout is rarely open during the snowy season, the plow makes for a nice display model on a siding for most of the year. Sort of like the prototype.

One thing I've always wondered about our model is the headlight. The ones I see on eBay from time to time all have an older lantern style headlight, while ours has a very nice modern era headlight. Glad ours came with the modern style.

Here's my experiment with the USA rotary. She stated out surprisingly well and you can sort of see snow being blown out in the first photo. Slow going just like the real thing, but she was really plowing. Then we hit some thicker snow/ice and it eventually clogged up. Ice on the railhead also caused a loss of track power:

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
Finding a source for a metal blade would be the way to go. Later RJD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts