G Scale Model Train Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wow Marty, shame to say it as they're so nice of an autorack, but they do look great! The Atlas 89' in O scale are made of steel! I bet you could run a steel box down the center like the real ones have.
Do you know what size wheels are on the real car? I have some Aristo trucks with spinners that need metal wheels installed. I just looked at the USA sight and those intermodal trucks are a deal. I can see why you like them. Are they equipped with steel wheels??

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
?

know why Marty is awake early,,

He's got "Trains on the Brain"... can't sleeeeeeezzzzzp syndrome....

He's getting well Gents... Back to G stuff fer' Marty!!

Joe, as mentioned just above Auto-racks run on 33'' wheels, better tho - Bi-levels run on 33'' wheels , while the tri-levels run on 28'' wheels..

How do I know this, I 'read' the labels on the cars sides when they go by at crossings, something to do while 'waiting' on trains to pass....

OT - anybody know where our preservationist Amber has gone, she has not posted here for a long time...??

Last day to think about trains 'this year' going, going, gone....

Snow looks great in Russia, not AZ..........hummmm,..... now it is white out this am....

Got to go take Wife to work!!!

Dirk - H.N.Y. to all , see ya next year!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Auto car is back together, only 3 broken parts. can't wait to run them. They feel like there maybe a little drag from the wheels to the body. I may try a thin washer and see if that frees it up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey Marty, how much trouble would it be to duplicate the Autorack bed for a 89' TOFC as you show in the picture? You will not have to build a prototype, just cut the parts identical to the ones on the Autorack and glue together. You already made some of the 70's era TOFC, do the same for a more modern version. You can get sheets of .060" styrene from Nationwide Plastics in 48" X 96". I purchased several sheets a couple of years ago for this project and they quartered them for me. The bed will be one piece with the braces below. Their website is www.nationwideplastics.net. There are two plants in Texas.
Ron

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By NTCGRR on 01 Jan 2013 07:26 AM
See if this link will work.
look at flat 89' shows how I built them.
Thanks Ron
I buy 4 X 8 from a place 1 hour away. .40.125. .60
Marty

The link that you used only pointed to the old MLS 1st Class/Gold user interface Log In page, and unless they know your User ID & Password they will not be able to access you MLS server space.

The link you want to use is below, note this link only provides read-only access so no changes can be made.

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/ntcgrr/[/b]

·
Registered
297 Posts
I got my O scale autoracks from Lionel. They have opening doors and are scale. The coupler mechanism is very cool in how it swings.

Now I have more of these on order and it has prevented me from getting the G gauge ones yet. I wonder if anyone will make an articulated set like ATlas O

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Backing up to Greg's remarks about those special metal knuckles on #1 couplers - on page 3 I think - I got a reply back from KD today.. they did make a metal knuckle for the #1 - old style couplers, due to heat melting the knuckles. As the new design is stronger as is, a metal version was not found to be needed.

Not sure if they are still available however...?

Thanks Greg,

Dirk

·
Super Modulator
20,510 Posts
Actually, the new design hides the coupler knuckle spring better (almost completely) and they did make the coupler shank heaver where it attaches to the coupler body, but I don't see where they made the knuckle stronger.

If they are still available, you will need to get the part number for them and start asking dealers.

In the G scale size, the new couplers are definitely more robust also, but again don't really see the knuckle being stronger.

Greg

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Don't know any further details - at this time, but the Gentleman from KD was further interested in My coupler testing methods!! see where it all goes!! more tomorrow...

Dirk

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I finally got around to playing with the coupler heights on my autoracks... I am still using the USA couplers, in the raised position as directed in USA's coupler instructions for raising the coupler..

When I scratchbuilt my autorack and TOFC's, I used old bachmann 3 bay hopper trucks, and replaced the wheels with bachmanns small diameter steel wheels... I did this with my USA autoracks, using the USA couplers, as installed in the "'raised"' position as per the USA instructions... Tested this with my kadee coupler height guage and the USA coupler on the autorack is about 1/16th of an inch lower than the coupler height guage... I figure, with a washer between the autorack and the bachmann truck, it should bring the coupler height to just about exact...

All my other freight cars have kadee couplers on them, but with the autoracks and the new 60 ft boxcars, I'm trying to use the original USA couplers, because of their design and function..

Just thought I would put my results out there...

121 - 136 of 136 Posts