G Scale Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 136 Posts

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
Umm, the draft gear seem to be the same size outside dimension... check the Kadee site again Dirk. You can get the small 912 box in either coupler "size"

I put some info here: http://www.elmassian.com...trong>

Based on the attention you are giving to your track, I would wager that you would be fine with the #1 scale couplers except in extremely long trains.

Did you know they make an all metal coupler in #1 scale (or at least a metal knuckle)?

Greg

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Any one consider trying a 'straight solid shank' coupler by KD, and grafting it onto the long swing USA shank to mount to the car body?

Greg - sorry did not see any metal knuckles on their site, got a number or....???

note... I have used the standard size gear box that will screw directly to a USA car...using a smaller #1 will require a new set of holes - I think to mount to...

Dirk

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
You may have to contact them, they were the #1, and this was brought about by coupler breakage experienced in high temperature locations, namely Arizona. You might need to contact them directly, I could not find them on the site now, although have seen them before.

Which gear box? The one for the slack action or the other ones? Supplying a part number here will avoid confusion. I think the mounting holes are the same for the #1 and G sizes, but the coupler height changes of course.

Greg

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I got a pkg of the 1906 / with gear box,
and a pair of 1900 coupler only fer My tests here!!

Have to Make a call when the holidays settle down some, it looks!!

Dirk

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
Got it, so the 1906 couplers come in the 1920 gear box, the "standard" box that is the only one with the slack action.

The 1900 coupler is the correct "new style" coupler for the 1920 box.

A word of advice... if you are ever contemplating really long trains, stay with the G coupler... even though the new style #1's are stronger, they are not stronger than the G sale ones.

Greg

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Since no-one offered I think I will get a set of the 904's - a solid shank coupler - and give a try to creating a combined Auto car and KD combo unit!!

I'm running the G-scale couplers on My equipment now, so maybe should leave well enough alone, eh!!

Greg, I can take a hint!!

Dirk

·
Registered
297 Posts
I emailed KD right on their website about making an extended length shank coupler. I believe if anyone sees them at shows, they should ask about them too. They are in the business of couplers and should have the right product available. They are very helpfull usually.
I have never broken any KD coupler. I've heard it's happened. I have broken another brand.
When you factor in the slack action on start ups, I wonder how fast you'd have to take off to shear one? I don't know how you administered your test Dirk. Did you apply straight tension?

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
I can probably even get the name of the club in Arizona who lobbied for the "metal" coupler... surprised that Stan C. does not know who it is.

I've never broken a kadee coupler, but have snapped the boss off a coupler box. 50 cars up a 3.4% grade is tough.

Greg

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Tension tests on couplers are done in a straight line fashion, and in increasing amounts of load..

not any 'snap action' movements....

Greg - did you ever try a load test on the 3.4 % grade for 50 freight cars???

Dirk....

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
well with that back-load of QSI's you need to go out and run some trains, and............

Test 50 cars uphill....

he..he!!

Dirk

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
Yeah, well, I missed running trains for myself!

Tell you what though, if you can find a nice recording meter... which would record the peak tension as well as the current tension (like a tachometer with a tell-tale) I'll buy one... haven't even had time to shop for toys.

Greg

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
have not seen anything like that....'only in My dreams of tests does it exist'...

but I'll peruse the web this week..

I want something different than a 50 pound scale for closer readings, in ranges I want to read...

Dirk....

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
some toy,....mmm

The one I use runs 5-8 bucks,..

Fast results bring up a large variety of designs...

65.00 up 600.00

a very large range of choices there..! ha

Dirk - more work.... !!!!

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
OK - 'posting violation for double posting by 2 at same time!!! "

I was........, looking at dig models...

geeeeeeeeeezzz!!

D

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
what is all this testing stuff??
run them till you have a problem show up.

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
I'll engineer it for the type of running I want first, thank you very much.

Running a Yugo at Indy does not make sense to me, I'll engineer what I want to run since I have a good idea of the conditions.

Dirk has a goal, and he knows what he wants to accomplish, so some testing first makes a lot of sense.

Just like the testing Ted Doskaris did indoors with Aristo couplers BEFORE he went outside with grades...

I gauge all my wheelsets on new cars BEFORE they hit the rails for the first time. I'm never disappointed in the little time I take checking stuff out first.

To each his own, but I'd rather fix problems before a derailment.

Run it out of the box and see what breaks? Sure, you can do that... it's just not my style.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Marty,

Before one can run,..
One must first walk,

And then comes the 'marathons'...

alas,... testing is for a propose, if one knows what one wants and how to achieve it!!

Merry Christmas,... To all & To all a good night!!

Thank You!!

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Posted By Enginear on 24 Dec 2012 03:35 PM
Ray, who makes that superliner?? Very nice looking. [/b]
Great Trains (G/1 gauge division of American Standard Car Co {O gauge car kit producer})
They made them in 22" and 32" lengths (with or without interiors).[/b]
I obtained 5 completed 32" cars and parts to complete 5 more 32" cars from the estate.[/b]

Seasons Greetings - the_Other_Ray
[/b]

-Start of a Sleeper car assembly

41 - 60 of 136 Posts