G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
first off, THANK YOU SHAD FOR THIS WONDERFUL SITE.

Next ,IT came ,I was so happy,,,was is the key word. two years later.

can't use it out of the box , I knew that...

I can just change plates,, No that won't work,,, I knew that ,what was I thinking for $200????

I had instock 3 pairs of old used gunderson trucks with 33" wheels, I can live with that.. NO
Now whats wrong??

OH??? The left space needs shaved off for any wheel to clear.
I can do that, plus reglue two of the door brackets on one end.
Man I can run this car after spending an hour working on it, OH JOY to the world.

Got to love this hobby.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Marty, I feel your pain. It's crazy what we have to do to run. We are all conditioned to it? Rails need clamps, Cars need KDs, engines need control.....................what did I think? a few dollars would do??????????
Shhhhhhhhhhhh
It's really a secret club.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I plan to do like I did with my 89 ft pigs, use kadee 789 box with a longer metal USAT tank car coupler modified.
heres what I ended up doing . drilled hole and mounted a metal tank car safety coupler.

these have worded great for years on my pigs.
double nuted it.

Don't take me wrong, these are outstanding cars, and now I can run them and take photos after work tomorrow.
Then weather them some.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I ended up hot glueing some of the parts on the ladder braces. I was missing a part so I know it was broken before packing.

But as of tonight this old girl is retired, disassembled and trucks and couplers saved for the next ,"new" auto carriers.

The BN one on there bridge served us well for a number of years and I was very happy with the glue and how well she held up over time being stored in the outdoor shed.

My how small the trees were at that time..

·
Registered
297 Posts
Marty, that's a great shot. A long time ago you gave me some pics of scratch built cars. The flat car and the auto carier. I never found out who makes the trailers on the flat cars. Are they scratch builds??

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Engineer Joe, I think they ? let anyone in this club,....?!!

Marty - can you enlighten US with more info on the 'old girl' retired rack car above...!

Did you build it?
Some one else...
How about one of Jeff's cars - from back east?

Thanks...........

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Aristo road railers cut down to 45' trailors, , flat cars scratchbuilt. all was share on MLS in rolling stock forums.
I will have to find info and send by e-mails

Any one else have the new cars? thats what I was hoping to find on Terry's thread.
I don't mean to hyjack it.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Looks like C&NW one??? Will RJ be getting more??

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
That's a really nice car. I may have to add some to the BRR.
Whats the street price for them?

One thing I really don't understand about most all of my USA trains equipment is why they insist on having their couplers so low?
It makes it a real pain to add kadee's to them, which I use on all of my rolling stock and engines.
I love their Aluminum stream liners cars of which I about 24 of, and their intermodal 5 units cars are another favorite.
I tend to keep the USA stuff together because of the coupler issue, and just mod the lead car to match the kadee height gauge.
I hope someday they come around and set the coupler platform to the correct height.

Ron

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
Don't know how they got into the habit of low couplers, but it's been a pain.

But I can't understand why you have problems with mounting couplers, the good quality ones from them (not the cheapies) all have a kadee coupler pad at the EXACT right height... only lately has Aristo and others followed suit.

It's one of the major reasons that all my box cars, and most other cars are USAT.

There's only a few exceptions in the rolling stock.

The streamliners have nice couplers already and need a shim to convert so I only convert the lead car... and it's not a big deal, Kadee gives you a diagram and precise dimensions.

Maybe you are only talking about the streamliners when you say this... do you have any USAT box cars, tank cars, etc?

Greg

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
I mostly have the aluminum streamliners and the intermodals ( I also just modded the lead car), as well as their extended vision and center copula caboose's (no pads to speak of for body mounts made some though).
I also have several of their engines, GG-1 + SD70's, maybe I just have the ones that are like that, lol.

But it seams from what I have read the same applies to the new car carriers, I think I just like the ones that are low riders

I guess I should have said most all of my USA cars instead of most all USA cars.

I know the aristo cars also for the most part never lined up, but usually they were to high which is easier to fix than to low.

I just wish that all the players would get together and just standardize it, it would make life so much simpler, but then again if they
did that what would Ted do with all his free time.

Ron

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
Yes, unfortunately you have picked the "worst" examples... the toughest ones.

The new stuff is getting better... I believe the new USAT center cupola caboose has a proper mounting pad. New 2 bay hoppers from Aristo are pretty close, need a couple of shims, but Kadee sells the shims. AML is spot on for their cars.

It is getting better.

Greg

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Well sad to say as far as I can tell no Kadee pad on the new car. Later RD

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I think the issue with any Kadee would be it needs a longer tongue. reguardless of the box. To keep corners of the cars from hitting.

even here on 10' dia curves they were tight. These are tank cars.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
[/b]
Burrrrr[/b]

Too cold to play trains outside today so I am stuck on the kitchen table for now.[/b]

Here is the difference between 1:29 AutoRack vs 1:32 Superliner side-by-side.[/b]

I will get some shots with they flying in tandem when it get warmer.

No damage detected on either car.[/b]

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Excellent idea there Joe, Have you called them yet?!!!! ha....

Really think the 1/29 auto cars should have the travel room of the long shank, like USA has installed now! ...just with a KD end coupler!!

I have been exploring the idea of using the more scale and smaller #1 coupler for my freight cars...
They look nicer and come in a 'smaller' draft gear box also, both a plus / plus .... ok,... win ... win here!!
I was so excited to see them on Paul's locos recently, that it made me re-think the concept once more, and go further with this time.

Why would I consider this move to smaller couplers..
I have had tested for me a couple years ago, the tension or breaking strength of the larger big brother - the G-coupler...

It was found to stay together until just about 51 pounds of tension.. wow - really - YES 51 pounds,.. before breaking the knuckle off....

So,... when I got a few recently to test - I did this one myself, and found that I got up to 32 pounds, something stretched at this point... mmm, but not broken...
Then the knuckle broke off at 33 pounds.... on one coupler only - for this test I found it easier to set up and run the test using a pair of these couplers, again,.. only one broke...

This shows either model of coupler 'more than capable' of pulling lots of train...........

So how much does it take to pull - say a 50 car train.........?

Merry Christmas - have fun with this little exercise in your back yard over Christmas...no fair jumping ahead here guys!!!

Dirk - DMS Ry.

21 - 40 of 136 Posts