G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currious, I see the USA autoracks are out and for sale on the street , anyone have one
yet and willing to share info and pics ?

Terry

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Looks nice. Rather large coupler box. Probably for swing on tight radius curves

Yep the would be a pricey flat. Probably sits too low for a general service flat as well. Although if the flat car part is separate then USA could easily make some modern long flats from it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Posted By San Juan on 02 Dec 2012 08:13 PM
Looks nice. Rather large coupler box. Probably for swing on tight radius curves

Yep the would be a pricey flat. Probably sits too low for a general service flat as well. Although if the flat car part is separate then USA could easily make some modern long flats from it.

I had 'heard' at one point when these were introduced that USAT was going to offer the 90' flats in 3 styles; modern auto rack, older style open rack, and plain 90' flat.
Now if that ever comes true who knows.
I don't think the flat should ride that low compared to a normal 90' flat as they are the same car bodies. The 90' flats are owned by TTX, and then the rack sections are leased by the railroad that has the logo on the side. I've seen a few former 90' racks converted back to regular service. They tend to just cut off the rack part, and leave all the other stuff the same. They look to have the same floor height as regular service 90' flats..
The USAT model represents a bi-level rack, and not a tri-level. Some of the new tri-level racks have a lowered floor to provide more clearance.

Oh the joys of working Crew 9 & 10 switching and spotting autoracks in Kent, Wa...

Craig

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Joe, any notions for couplers yet!! I know - not in your hands yet, but...?

I'm first looking at car height, than placing the coupler in the upper curved recess just above the current couplers position...cut out the recess area...

May lower the car - depending on bolster design, and overall car height after lowering...
Should / may help in the coupler height tho!

interested in car weight also.... then I want to complete My 90 ft. flat car... !!! barrow ideas off the auto rack..

Dirk - DMS Ry.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
It will be interesting to see what people come up with for couplers like Kadee. With the trucks set in quite a ways from the end of the car like they are it will increase the over hang on curves. I think any coupler replacement will still need to have a lot of pivot.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
The largest problem will be for those that run smaller curves and lots of short cars next to the long autoracks. I think that strings of autoracks together will not matter so much, as they will be sitting on the rails with matching overhang as you point out Paul.

My consideration will be one time, and may not work well at all for others, but be a great fit on My layout.

I just put a 100ton hopper with a narrowed draft gear box ( hence limited swing ) - KD gear - on a LGB curve section #1600, R1175. Even with the much limited swing - there is more than enough to move down the radius scale to even smaller curves than a 1600 series curve, with any other car coupled to it!

So - I waits for the truck to come with My new car.. then to play with it and see what it can do!

Dirk - DMS Ry.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I also just was able to check on a few sections of 600mm LGB curved track, or less than 48'' diameter, using the same 100ton hopper with a narrowed draft gear box, that while the car itself refuses to get close to this curve ( allergic reaction I think! ), ....if it could - there is still more than enough coupler pivot to run a train without trouble from the coupler itself.

This really convinces me to go ahead with a re-work upgrade to all My draft gear using KD coupler sets, for all My rolling stock as a whole!!!

Maybe those auto racks will not be such a big deal...........

Dirk - DMS Ry.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
As a side note here, remember all the talk of grinding the corners off the OEM gear boxes to get trucks to turn - so they won't grind or drag on the wheels., .... these narrower gear boxes give even more clearance than knocking off the corners does!! The 100 ton hopper - Very nearly - will sit on the 600mm curve - but only on the end with the narrow draft gear.

So a stock hopper with narrow gear boxes would probably be comfortable on say like a 30'' rad./5 ft. circle of track...

Wayyyyyyyyyy to small for me.

D

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Posted By SD90WLMT on 06 Dec 2012 09:12 AM
The largest problem will be for those that run smaller curves and lots of short cars next to the long autoracks. I think that strings of autoracks together will not matter so much, as they will be sitting on the rails with matching overhang as you point out Paul.

Dirk - DMS Ry.

Even the big guys have rules and restrictions on what can go next to long cars like autoracks. The last time I looked at the train makeup charts (which was a few years ago) you weren't allowed to have a long car (80' or longer) coupled next to a 40' or smaller car. So no loaded autoracks followed by empty cement hoppers.

Craig

·
Super Modulator
20,522 Posts
Long cars coupled to long cars do indeed "match" overhangs on a curve... but put them on an "S" curve and it's way worse than a short car coupled to a long car.

Bottom line, need wide curves for long cars... (I know that won't stop people ha ha!)

For Kadees, you might use the flexible mount for the large draft gear... it's the ones used on Aristo HW passenger cars.

Greg

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Has anyone 'noticed' the track curve recommended for this car - given by USA???

IT is not your grandfather's car here!!! beware!!

D

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Now all those with reverse S curves set for HW passenger cars will find that an over 3 foooot long car exceeds this guide line.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
gott'a keep both threads in balance here!!

A detail close-up of the car side and UP logo, look at all them holes...

Dirk - DMS Ry.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts