G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Two of my Union Pacific cars where delivered to me the same way. They where drop shipped also. That was last fall, I replace the whole truck on both, furnished by them and sent the other trucks back. What was really strange was, it was both trucks on each car. I could see maybe one truck, but not both. when they where shipped, they where shipped two cars to a box, these two where one car out of two different boxes. That doesn't sound like rough shipping.[/b]

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I've been away from the computer and could not reply sooner. Following are my replies:
The plates are probably metal, non-magnetic; I say, probably, because they are not magnetized; why metal when most everything else is plastic. I don't believe the material is the issue. The plates seem to be a 'forced-fit' connection. When I attached some of the plates, the force of the spring dis-connected the plate (s). This is the reason I asked if they should be 'glued'?

Paul, I agree with your assessment of the plates falling off, and the journals 'popping' out of the slots and the springs falling out.

I received the Vista Dome and Observation cars in May 2012 from RLD, each in their own box... they could have been dropped shipped. On August 17, 2012, I received the Baggage, dining,and coach cars dropped shipped from USA. Two of these cars were in one 'shipping' box.

All Pass car boxes had plates loose in the boxes. I saved these pieces thinking they were there for some reason. I did not have the impression that these plates had fallen off the cars, primarily because they were in every box.

I plan to call both RLD and USAT. Hopefully, I will get the positive results that some of received.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Sounds like these cars may have been returned to USAT due to the problem and then they just turned around and resent them out again to different guy. I had this happen to me and they tried to blame the dealer for the issue when in fact it had been dropped shipped to me from USAT. Later RJD

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
I've had the same issue. I think that's one of the reasons I've never had an issue with repair parts under warranty with USAT... they KNOW this happens. Those cars are pretty darn heavy, and with UPS playing football with them, it happens.

Greg

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 27 Aug 2012 03:56 PM
Maybe because they are plastic? I want to look at mine, never remember them looking that way, but of course, via the pictures they do.

Greg Greg.. When you have a chance, Can you e-mail the photos to us due to our browsers won't show nothing but "X's" Like to see what the problem he is having. tk's guy.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I called Robbie at RLD. He was fully aware of this issue, saying,"It happens every now and then." Told me to call USAT; they will send the parts. Called USAT; they were fully aware of the issue. As soon as I mentioned, trucks/springs falling off and missing plates that hold the springs, he asked how many trucks did I need. I told him that I didn't need complete trucks, just replacement springs and plates.They will be mailed tomorrow.

I asked about attaching the plates, if they were a 'force fit'? He said to place the plate on the post (metal?) and tap lightly to pin it (widen the head to hold the plate). If this doesn't work, I assume the plate could be glued to the posts. What is the best glue for this application... metal to metal

I don't believe this problem is caused by shipping. These cars are in plastic bags/Styrofoam and cannot move. The loose plates were on the outside of the Styrofoam boxes... How would the the plates (contained in the Styrofoam) fall off during shipping and arrive on the outside of the Styrofoam? Given the manual process to tap (pin) the posts to attach the plates to the journal/ contain the springs, no doubt, there will be loose plates. In my case, about 20%.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Kind of sounds like a factory problem. Someone or machine not tapping those pins enough to spread the head. If you glue them I would consider clamping the sdie frame so the springs are compressed to hold the journal away from the plate until the glue dries. Not really sure what kind of glue.

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Thank you , Steve C. Hum.. wonder why it posted 4 time. Must of been the whitching hr.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Guess you would call that Murphys law when that happened according to RLD. Later RJD

21 - 31 of 31 Posts