G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I uploaded a picture of the new RhB Gem 4/4 loco to my mls web space tonight so that I could insert the picture into a post but when I then looked for the picture to insert, it didn't show up in my web space items.

After trying to upload the picture again and doing some digging, I finally found that the picture showed up in my web space with the name truncated and the web space used shown as "0"

I assume the system somehow doesn't like the "/" in the name, not sure why since I have no problem in using that symbol on my computer or on my web site.

In any case, if the mls software does have that limitation where one cannot use a "/" as part of a file name for upload to the web space, there should at least have been an error message to that effect.

Knut

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
My access to MLS died last night about the time of your post so I suspect that your upload occurred about the same time as something happening to the site and all was lost.

Not that you caused it, but that something happened about that time.

The site was down again/still this AM and I just now retried it and got in (and read your post).

You probably could delete the damaged file and try it again and see if it works better now.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
I think I read in somebody's help tutorial/post that the only punctuation allowed are;( - _ ). Within parenthesies.

Last night may not be a good measure as the ol' DotNetNuke showed up again....

Imagine, I paid my dues 4 days early and couldn't get on! lol

We's in a pickle, the site is buggy and our webmaster has his hands full with family. Dang priorities!

John

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I am glad to hear that someone else broke it....

I upgraded to 1st Class Membership yesterday evening and thought maybe I caused it!!! (Not really...)

Glad to see that it is back online though.

Bill in Cypress, Texas

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Oh sure... blame the 'wrecker' ...

Good move Bill, when it works, this is a great site!

John
Vail Az

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 11 May 2011 10:04 AM

You probably could delete the damaged file and try it again and see if it works better now.

This is really strange.

The jpg file on my computer is:
Kiss RhB Gem 4/4 analog.jpg

When I look at the file name that shows up in the browse window of the mls 1st class space, this is changed to
Kiss RhB Gem 4:4 analog.jpg (mls changes the "/" to a ":")

And then when I upload that to my 1st class space I get:
Kiss RhB Gem 4

With 0 bytes of web space used, but no error message or indication that anything is amiss.

I didn't even know there was an issue until I tried to insert the picture into my post and couldn't find the file.
The file shows up as

Kiss RhB Gem 4

when I look at my web space but doesn't show up at all in the window that opens when you want to insert a picture that is on your web space.

Knut

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
"/" is a reserved character.. In computer parlance it is a divider into a subdirectory.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Knut, try removing the space from the filename before uploading.

I've had this issue before - seems to upload but doesn't appear in the directory for insertion once its finished.

Cheers
Neil

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
only letters, numbers, dashes or underscores should be used in file names..
no blank spaces, and no characters like [email protected]#$%^&*()+=

only dashes -
or underscores_

been that way for many decades..nothing to do with MLS specifically..

Scot

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This must be an old remnant of DOS.

I tried uploading the image with the name as is to TinyPic and they had no problem - I got this

I have also uploaded many images to the Large Scale database using the proper product name which for most Swiss locomotives includes the "/" and no problem there either.

For MLS I have to replace the proper Gem 4/4 name with a Gem 4_4 to get it to work; sort of odd that the MLS software changes the 4/4 to a 4:4 and then it still doesn't work.
The software designer didn't have his thinking cap on.

Knut

Edit: oops - I picked the code on TinyPic that is specifically meant for forums and message boards, it was "......." but that obviously doesn't work for this particular forum.
The picture shows up fine on the TinyPic site. I wonder if the link works:

[url]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=10hvlux&s=7[/url]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts