G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all you MLSer's,
I recently purchased some modern ore cars and thought I should build a modern locomotive to go with them. I went through my parts and pieces and discovers a frame, hood and cab from a Bachmann center cab diesel. I pulled out my "Critters Vol.2" by James S. Eakin (these are a great resource if you don't know of them but are into small industrial equipment) and perused Rail East Industrial site to get the creative juices flowing. So here is what I did. I found drawings of GE 25ton, 2-axle switchers and thought something similar to this is what I will build. The frame and cab were narrowed 1.25". The cab was lengthened .375 inches. Anything in gold on the photos is brass. Anything that looks like metal casting is probably from Ozark Miniatures. I cobbled together the plate frames and suspension components from styrene and bit from the scrap bin. The power truck is from a USA trains F3. As I have done in the past the unit will be able to be controlled by a trailing radio control car or track power. The engineer was made by Chris Walas (THANKS!) the cab passenger is from Railroad Avenue.
Please let me know what you think and have fun, Don.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
So now you ahve a GE 25 tonner to go with Bachman's stock Davenport? LOL! Really I have wanted to do this bash myself too. Got a spare cab and hood from Cale just for this a few years ago. Nice to see someone beat me to it! Can't wait to see it painted up.

Chas

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Lookin' good, Don! Interesting to see the lengthened cab, especially. Should look fantastic painted and weathered. What are the dimensions on this one? I've got all the parts, but the only reason I'd do a diesel is to paint all the rust!
Very Cool, Don!
Chris

·
Registered
213 Posts
Posted By wchasr on 02/24/2009 7:27 AM
So now you ahve a GE 25 tonner to go with Bachman's stock Davenport? LOL! Really I have wanted to do this bash myself too. Got a spare cab and hood from Cale just for this a few years ago. Nice to see someone beat me to it! Can't wait to see it painted up.

Chas

Getting as bad as me in the not starting/finishing dept!

Your're little Dizzy Looks Great!

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Looks great Don! I love the proportions. It'll really look neat when painted lettered and weathered. I hope you'll post more pix when it's done.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris and Richard,
Thanks for the comments. I plan on posting images of the finished project. If you don't hear from me, feel free to bug me about it. I have a tendency to easily stray from the projects at hand. I will adjust a t-shirt I saw to more appropriately fit the model makers amongst us- "Some People believe I have A.D.D. ... OOOH look a Porter!"
More to follow,
Don.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts