G Scale Model Train Forum banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Posted By SD90WLMT on 21 May 2012 10:23 PM
got some glad hands from P&D Hobby Shop today.

item #5676

item #4279

item #4050

Dirk

Dirk,

Bringing this thread to the top again. I think that the part I ordered from P&D was #PSCO4649
Here's a comparative shot showing the airhoses I've modified.

Left to Right. USAT trainline molded plastic hose, USAT molded plastic MAI hose, my O scale hoses with flexible tubing, note that the Main Res. hose is slightly longer than the AI hoses. The nuts above the hoses are a bit over sized, but it was what I had on hand at the time. The nuts represent where the MAI hoses screw into the hard piping. Far right is the brass castings from P&D. The glad hands will actually connect together, but I have not permanently MU'd any locomotives together so I leave them alone.

Craig

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
If you really want to get technical, the main reservoir hose should be slightly larger diameter than the actuating and apply & release hoses. Still, VERY well done, sir!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Posted By DKRickman on 10 Jul 2013 07:11 AM
If you really want to get technical, the main reservoir hose should be slightly larger diameter than the actuating and apply & release hoses. Still, VERY well done, sir!
I know
But the gland hands from P&D came with the rubber hoses. It's a bit stiffer than heat shrink, so I'm not really sure what I could use to make it slightly thicker. You and I (and other rails) are the only ones who would know the difference. Next step trying to find a decent glad hand for the train line... On my GP30 project I'm tempted to run the piping for the MAI lines and include the angle cocks. Humm..

A company offers 'working' glad hands in 1/20.3 and 1/32. But nothing in 1/29 yet. But not working according to my definition as they are magnetic and thus the glad hands can't be spun 180 degrees..
http://www.thetraindepartment.com/protohands-working-glad-hands/
I'm wondering if the 1/32 ones may work okay or they will look undersized.

Craig

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
There is also some thing not mentioned yet,...

I use stranded copper wire, cutting longer sections than needed and pulling/sucking the stranded wire from the insulation, leaving a very nice - drum roll please - ''hose'' to now cut to the length you need for an air line!!

Using wire insulation gives one the options of using many different sizes of ''Air hose'' to build air lines with...

Model on guys !! have fun - My kittens are 'picking on me' today. They are watching me dig in a rock ditch off the front porch here!! darn ...eventually will get thru the rock and add more water lines, 1/1 scale stuff here tho! ha!!
PS - the kittens got so tired watching me dig and load a wheel barrow with rocks and dirt, they are sleeping on my bed now!! I'm on break - eating breakfast - already one big drip from the heat!!

Dirk

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
So it's time to press on ward here.. to confirm by any sparkies here, I am going to use 4 - 2 1/2'' speakers in the fuel tank.. seems that if I use 8 ohm speakers, and run them in a series / parallel affair, I will still end up with a combined 8 ohm load..

Using one channel of a QSI sound driver, will the driver still be happy driving all 4 speakers?

Dirk

·
Registered
2 Posts
DDA40X Scale 0 - 1/45

Hi guys!
Im new here at mylargescale.com and this is my first post.
Im trying to build a DDA40X in scale 0 its 1:45 in Scandinavia.
Found this particular thread and just want / need more.
So wot happends here 2013? No more posts?

But Thx annyway Dirk for all the pixs.
My Best // Gert Persson, Malmö Sweden

·
Super Modulator
21,228 Posts
Paul, I often change the attributes on a link to bold and underline, and then people more often recognize it is a link.

I miss Dirk.

Greg 1,145

81 - 93 of 93 Posts