G Scale Model Train Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Super Modulator
21,224 Posts
No problem, won't mention it again, if he has decided, then he has decided.

The wattage thing is hard for people to get, because amps and volts are not really clearly understood by many people, even using the water and pipe analogies... while technically a great analogy, many people do not get it.

I have the best luck getting people to understand watts when they have an RV or camper that can work on 12v batteries or 110v shore power... they realize how many more amps it takes from batteries that are 1/10 the voltage.

Just looking at a battery cable vs. an 110v wire helps...

The range of airwire is limited because it is 900 MHz and power limited by FCC... add to that the fact that it is not a full duplex system, it makes it even less reliable.

You need DCC and multiple base stations for coverage, but that would require track power... (that's what I do)... that would give you pretty much unlimited range... a layout about the size of a football field is doable.

If you are battery, then you clearly need something like model aircraft use and external antennas on your locos.

Greg

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Yep,...a little more than a 'football field',.. indeed.

more like a couple hundred thousand square feeeeeeeeeeet!.......!

Dirk

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Not to derail your thread too much Dirk,

But I thought you'd get a kick out of these two photos.

This is #6925 in its current state. I took these two pictures this last weekend in Chamberlain, SD. This is the Dakota Southerns railyard. 6925 is not in working order from what I could tell, the Dynamic brakes have been stripped and from what I've been told they have caniballized other parts for other locomotives. She is now a glorified fuel tank.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Jake, This is the place for DD40 stuff by all means!!! Indeed!!

Added pictures, info, & input is definitely welcome. What a sad ending for a big loco, a stationary fuel tank eh!

Anytime, Thanks !!

Dirk

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Posted By rlvette on 01 Oct 2012 04:50 PM
So what was the reason for the hole in the middle?

It's essentially two complete locomotives on one frame. One locomotive powers one truck, and the other locomotive powers the other truck..
the "hole" in the middle seperates the two locomotive units..not sure why the hole is actually needed though! seems they could cover it up..
it's probably there for some maintenance purpose..

Scot

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
While it seems there maybe a variety of reasons for the hall or tunnel, one more could be that it is a much shorter trip to the other side on a very long loco. There was ample room for the equipment, and in the inside roof or ceiling are a few pipes - probably cooling fluids - but not much else, and does not appear there are any access hatches or covers. This area did not get filled with any equipment, as it would typically be the very rear end of the long hood. Yet they needed room for the radiators and cooling needs above.

Dirk

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Here is a pic of the passage way in the middle of the hood. Mostly of the upper coolant lines and fittings, the rest is just smooth flat surfaces with no hatches! A place to walk thru is about it!

Dirk

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
What's the doohickey on the rear half that blocks part of the N and looks like a flattened homeplate?
John

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
just a dooo-hickey is all!!

I like that!

IT is ... a sand box - one on each side, as there was no room in a standard hood rearranged for this loco, which also would have been some distance from the rear truck. It is sitting on the rear side decking, but usually is hard to notice - actually hangs over the decking edge some 4''-6'' also, to create enough space for the sand supply.

Dirk

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Thanks, I was afraid I'd gotten too technical!

John

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Ya had me think'n for a minute is all John!!

Mind tried after our long trip, and today I'm hauling lots of water, we were out this morning.... arrgh .... :`/

next, on to the garden without water for three days....

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
well - time can really fly, eh!!!!

On a different thread here, a discussion about sound options for this bad boy loco was running along side this one, so I wanted to add a link for those that may have missed out or did not relate it back to this project!!

Bells, Whistles, and Prime Movers!!

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/aff/36/aft/126031/afv/topic/Default.aspx ..., just cut and paste if need be........

This was a good thread about the 'sound options' for a DDA40X model. I learned allot also. So much so that I got all the pieces needed to put together a complete system to test and learn more. I will use own My personal loco, My Red SD70 - a Research loco for the installation to get this working and sounding off! What better excuse to learn more!

I got these parts, as listed below;..
... QSI 'Titan' - Magnum version - 10 amp / 20 amp max
... QSI - G-wire receiver to use a Air wire throttle
... Air wire T5000 throttle
... a 'Visaton' FRS-8 speaker, a 3.0'' - 8 ohm unit

In installing these in My loco, I will also retro fit the 2 battery packs - 18 volts/ 4.5 amp hr. (9.0 amp hr. combined) for a single 24 volt @ 4.5 amp hr. pack. This has the effect of increasing the watt/hours over a single pack, but it is a bit shorter in run time compared to the 9.0 amp hr rating I have been using.

I feel the components will function better using a 24 volt base, over the existing 18 volt packs.

The Visaton 3.0 in. speaker has been started to be installed into a spare fuel tank.. a spacer needs to be fabricated to mount it from or thru the bottom of the tank - not from the top side down in..

sometimes you can't win for loosing, here you catch the guy with the camera - look close!!

and My Research loco for this conversion...

So moving forward, using My loco as a test bed to get a much better idea of how to best approach the DDA40X build, and hopefully achieve the best results the first time on the 40!!

So winter progress will be spent working this all out!

stay tuned!!....

Dirk - DMS Ry.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Hows the body coming? I finally got back to this thread.
Few more projects then maybe I can get back to my DD35

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Up early Marty!!? You must be getting your G 'wind' back again, thinking about g trains more we are now!! good!!

No hood work recently...

wanted to get chassis together - sound in place, painted - with fuel tank..

more test runs to sort out turning issue , squealing on a 20 ft circle at Dennis S. layout.

but - alas,... I do not have a nice warm shop like you Marty, pick my building sessions when it is not cold... everything on hold fer a bit.. not easy to live like that when there is so much I want to work on....oh well, some day life will be different...until.... then....

Dirk - Merry Christmas to All!!!!

61 - 80 of 93 Posts