G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Dadgumit Jerry! You have all the luck. Thanks for posting. Gosh that bought back memories. Challangers in Grand Island in the mid 50's. Big Boys going through Columbus. Did I get to see it? Very little. Couldn't afford the money for film or gas at 35 cents a gallon. I was still in High School and generally flat broke. Thanks again. Just wish BNSF could see fit to bring back a 5600 (4-8-4) or one of the 4000 class Hudsons. Sigh.
Noel
PS Liked the early morning run of the Pioneer Zephyr. It sat at the Lincoln station when I started at the U of N in 59. Pictures....nah! Not me. Another sigh.
N

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi NOel,
Just noticed, on the Challenger video, you can click on a higher quality viewing, I uploaded it at a pretty high resolution.

I know what you mean about lost opportunities. I was in Farmington, NM, when the narrow gauge was still there, but I was in 8th grade! Then, in 9th grade in Cheyenne and I think some steam was still going on Sherman Hill, that would have been 1959? Wife remembers playing in the cinder piles, in the winter, near her house in southern Cheyenne. Jerry

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Jerry

Thanks for the pics. Yes 1959 was the last year for working steam on the UP.

Noel

I think that some guys in Washington or Oregon fixed up a CB&Q 4-8-4 but for some reason were never allowed to run it on the mainline.

Terl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts