G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you know last year jan 2008? http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/8/tpage/5/view/Topic/postid/47/Default.aspx

I have the package from my Friend. This going to be Union Pacific Big Blow Gas-Turbine largest powerful monster locomotive project.
This is a control-unit i working on this project. You can see how small then my UP58 the GTEL4500. however the GTEL8500 will be larger then GTEL4500.

I do have some big problem is i will dont have time working on my hobby model train. Because i be out of town work at Jackson Wyoming My schedule will be such that I will have time only every other week to do any work, but I will keep you posted on my accomplishments.

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
Looks like a go to me . Keep us up dated to the progress of this big guy. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
RE: UP "Big Blow"GTEL8500

I'll be following this build with interest. Your first turbine turned out great.

TERL

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I been doing a slow project Big Blow. Because i be out of town work at Jackson Wyoming weekday and home for the the weekend every week.

I statring Control unit sanding the cab nose make it nicely smooth.

smooth the cab roof. I start drawing the line in the roof for roof detail.. there is cab heater on top of the cab to keep engineer driver and crew warm in the cold weather.

The " H" Air-Vent is the main Dynamic Brake Resistor. The red line is how high the air-vent detail i can make right height of the detail.

Two Electrical boxes are sitting on the the roof from UP prototype detail and Diesel smoke stack is the 1000Horsepower donkey engine is connection to the B-Unit of Turbine unit to keep the main turbine running spinning to moving around.

the Main Radiator.there is large fan, like size from Alco PA-1 and FA-1 diesel locomotive. On the UP prototype detail there is 2 grill on the main Radiator.
Left radiator grill is flat.. the Right radiator grill have the large grill air-vent. you can see how high the the grill on the radiator on the red line.
and the horn is sitting on the the main radiator grill the UP modifed to move horn to the radiator grill normal usually be on the cab.

another The " H" Air-Vent is the main Dynamic Brake Resistor. The red line is how high the air-vent detail i can make right height of the detail.
Most UP Big blow turbine roadnumber option have the small Air-Vent is the main Dynamic Brake Resistor on the Display Prototype you saw on UP 18 and UP 26

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts

Are you done ,,yet????

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today i did getting start on the Control Unit Roof detail.

Working on radiator grill detail

Skid plate with Two Electrical boxes and smoke Stack

Radiator Grill detail on the roof.

the front & back was add on Skid plate on the roof and then add The " H" Air-Vent is the main Dynamic Brake Resistor later.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today i been working on the The Air-Vent is the main Dynamic Brake Resistor.

This is a small air-vent Dynamic Brake Resistor on rear of control-unit. The preserved surviving UP 18 and 26 prototype the control unit have small air-vent Dynamic Brake Resistor.
Now you can see-through inside air-vent Dynamic Brake Resistor from the UP prototype. Also help to keep the bugs out...

working the "H" Air-Vent Dynamic Brake Resistor on front of control-unit

well done.. another See-through the "H" Air-Vent Dynamic Brake Resistor

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I go back to fix the rear small air-vent Dynamic Brake Resistorand add detail. I was looking at the UP turbine prototype.

The cab heater

I cut the 1" off because is too long front measurement prototype.

The control-unit roof detail is almost done.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Add the Connection-door and ring-lift.

The Detail is for Turbine-Unit. The double See-through the Air-Vent Dynamic Brake Resistor and Cat-walk detail.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Posted By Rayman4449 on 12/21/2008 10:07 PM
Looking good Bryan! The master is at it again. >; )

That's why I'm glad I live so close to Bryan.. I'm hoping some of that talent will rub off..

·
Banned
192 Posts

A very impressive beast for sure!! Really looking good!
Just curious though: How long will total unit(s) be when complete, and what is the minimum curve this thing can handle?
Would love to attempt a simple project, but I can't draw a straight line, even WITH a ruler!

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Keith, I believe the UP Big Blow will be 74" long of 1:29 scale of prototype 179 feet long. My monster "Virginian" unit-to-unit locomotive is 64" long. And a little UP turbine plus the turbine is 54" long. It can go to 8ft Curve to larger 20ft curve.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts