G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Um...how do I unlock a Roundhouse six coupled standard (Walscharts) running gear?

As some might recall, I have been in a 100 year project to get a 2-6-2 back in steam for a while. Last night, I managed to find some time and energy to get the cylinders buttoned back up, steam exhaust lines in the exhaust tube, and the main rods hooked back up. I tried to turn the wheels by hand to make sure everything was working properly, but am only able to get about 1/4 turn either way. This doesn't make any sense.

With the main rods disconnected, I still only am able to get a 1/4 turn. With the reverser lever unhooked from the servo (it is in the 'forward' setting), no luck.

The only thing I could think, and I don't know this would make a difference, is that the valve timing hasn't been set. Think that would have anything to do with it? Sorry if that's a real obvious one.

The real disconcerting part of this rebuild is when I last steamed her up, 3 years ago, she would only move 1/4 a turn under her own power. That's when I tried to tune her timing, and fouled up a thread, resulting in sidelining.

Ideas?

Mark

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
sounds to me that the problem is not in timing but in the wheels them self. if you did remove the main rods and it still dose not move than the timing dose not make difference as without the rods there is no back pressure. Only my thoughts I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill,

Thanks, I didn't think to check the wheels themselves. I guess it is possible that one of the counterweights (this is an outside frame RH 2-6-2) has worked loose. I'll check that when I get back to the project.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Not quite sure I have the picture, but the drive is very sensitive to locking up based on the angle on the return crank, which drives the bottom of the Walsherts See Roundhouse info on the web

jim

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim,

Thanks for that tip. I went over to their website, and think I found something I can use. It talks about making sure the valve gear is lined up right, and that is something I can check later on.

Mark

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
see if you can turn disconnect the first axle and the third axle from the valve gear (maybe take the connecting rods out). If you do this, see if the center driver rotates. If that is good, then reinstall one set of connecting rods, and check. If it binds, I wonder if it might have the wrong connecting rod in the wrong place... might be a simple matter of swapping them around to see if it will work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts