G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Here is an OVGRS 3rd generation power car with the 27 MHz TE receiver that Mark mentioned.

The only part I am not familiar with Mark’s set up is the battery, but if it runs an SD-45 smoothly for an hour the battery and power car are not the problem.

It appears that something is causing the RS-3 to operate poorly. It should run smoothly with battery power and operate considerably longer than an SD-45 with 4 motors.

Did or does the RS-3 run smoothly on track power?

Is it a first or second generation RS-3 with the axles in the side frames?

A third generation RS-3 with ball bearing motor blocks (no axles in the side frames) but no Plug and Play features?

Or a fourth generation RS3 with ball bearing motor blocks and Plug and Play features?

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
OK, we know it is a 4th generation RS-3 with Plug and Play features.

Two things I can think of to check.

Are the wheels rubbing on the side frames?

When the switch under the cover on the top of the RS-3 is turned to battery, is there still power (voltage) across the wheels? Sometimes the track power/battery power switches on Aristo-Craft locomotives are wired incorrectly. Oh no Joe, tell me it ain’t so!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Usually if one truck is running, the other will too because they are connected to a power buss that runs from the front MU plug through the power distribution board(s) to the back MU plug. On my FA-1 both trucks were running, but in opposite directions. The front MU plug would not work either, as it was wired wrong.

There are two things you can do.

1. Open the locomotive as see if there are any obvious broken or unconnected wires.

There are 21 screws to remove to open an RS-3.

Photo by Brandy Bruce Sharp.

2. Call Navin at Aristo-Craft to see if you can return it for repair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts