G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have some of the Uncle Herman's and they take the same size hex as the Hillman. I prefer the Uncle Herman's over the Split Jaw because they are a smaller profile. And I prefer them over the Hillman as they don't have that top lip that tends to break off, and they are even smaller profile than Hillman. And, as I stated before, the price can be significantly cheaper depending on how many you order.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I bought a lot of these off e-bay a couple of years back and I found they work fine.
Also on some, I cut one side of them in half with a razor saw to make them into a split jaw.
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Morning All,

Steven Schnelker from Uncle Herm's Track Joiner here. In response to the SS question, we do not have the desire to make any SS joiners at this time. SS is extremely hard to work with and the tooling is prohibatively expensive. Due to the high startup cost and small market, we will probably never make any stainless productions. Also, there is the fact that it took me years to get dad to even make the code 250 and insulating joiners.

We had and are still having some trouble with the website after moving it to a new web hosting providers. I think everything is finally fixed, but we shall see. Never thought switching webhosting could be such a pain. If you ever have trouble ordering from the website, please order from ebay and mention you found the joiners on mylargescale.com and I will discount the price so it is the same as the website.

A little bit of history, dad started making these joiners because the Hillman joiners kept breaking on him during the winter and because they were so hard to take off of track that would out of spec. 8)

Steven

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I bought a batch of them this year. They are slightly more difficult to install than Split Jaw, but on the whole, I am very pleased with them.

·
Super Modulator
21,432 Posts
Steven, would you email me the web site when it gets back up, I'd like to list these on my site, I have a comparison of joiner types on it.

Thanks, greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
The website is running great again and we are having our first ever sales event. 10% off all joiners until January 1st, 2010. Just head over to www.trackjoiners.com or go to ebay and search for "track joiner".

Thanks, Steven

·
Registered
2 Posts
Morning All,

Steven Schnelker from Uncle Herm's Track Joiner here. In response to the SS question, we do not have the desire to make any SS joiners at this time. SS is extremely hard to work with and the tooling is prohibatively expensive. Due to the high startup cost and small market, we will probably never make any stainless productions. Also, there is the fact that it took me years to get dad to even make the code 250 and insulating joiners.

We had and are still having some trouble with the website after moving it to a new web hosting providers. I think everything is finally fixed, but we shall see. Never thought switching webhosting could be such a pain. If you ever have trouble ordering from the website, please order from ebay and mention you found the joiners on mylargescale.com and I will discount the price so it is the same as the website.

A little bit of history, dad started making these joiners because the Hillman joiners kept breaking on him during the winter and because they were so hard to take off of track that would out of spec. 8)

Steven
Are y’all still making these? I’ve been checking eBay regularly lately, and haven’t seen them for sale.

·
Super Modulator
21,432 Posts
Yeah his online store has no products available. Lots of people are out.

That page lists all the joiners I know about...

Sunset Valley has some apparently. Link on that page.

Greg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks like a die grinder (or Dremel) with a carbide cutoff wheel will quickly turn Uncle Herms into quasi Split-Jaws.

edit added - I should have read all the posts before jumping in! Only got through page 1 when I posted the above.

Second edit added - I just noticed this is a rejuvenated thread from 2009! I need to look more carefully!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just don't expect the original poster to answer! ;)
I was surprised it actually let me revive this old post. 🤪 This is the only place outside of eBay I found mention of Uncle Herm's. I bought a small batch from them a couple months ago as a test, and I liked them. Now trying to buy more, but they don't have any listed. I tried contacting them through eBay, but haven't gotten any response. Thought I'd try my luck here.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts