G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share a link as I've found these to be the best rail clamps I've used: Rail Clamps

They are very easy to deal with, less expensive and the shipping is cheap.

·
Super Modulator
21,422 Posts
Actually, split jaws have split jaws (one side is split into 2 pieces, the other side is one piece) ... they are closer to hillmans I think.. they are not split...

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I have used these joiners. Although they are not that great with R1 curves, all larger sized of curves and straights work very will with "Uncle Herm's." As others have said, they are a good, but less expensive alternative joiner.

JimC.

·
Super Modulator
21,422 Posts
Sorry, I'm not quite following you Del, you mean the profile of the outside of the clamp, or the profile of the clamp where the foot of the rail fits in?

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greg, I don't know of any stainless steel clamps by them, but you could send them a request via their contact info.

·
Super Modulator
21,422 Posts
It sure would be nice to have a second source for stainless steel clamps. I tried some brass clamps, but even on my stainless steel, the oxidation was not acceptable to me as compared to solid SS clamps.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 05/11/2009 9:53 PM
Sorry, I'm not quite following you Del, you mean the profile of the outside of the clamp, or the profile of the clamp where the foot of the rail fits in?

Regards, Greg

I meant the shape that contacts the rail. They look like nice clamps.

In looking at their website, it says they have been in business since 1991?
Way to keep a low profile Uncle Herm! Never heard of you til now. Strictly e-bay I guess?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Does anyone else but me find the split jaw feature a must-have? It's great to be able to clamp one side, then position the other rail end, and clamp it next without the other (I presume) free to wander around.

Also, the split jaw allows you to undo one end, to remove a switch, for example, and the whole clamp doesn't fall off.

Just wondering.

·
Super Modulator
21,422 Posts
I prefer the SJ clamps for the above 2 reasons, The ability to clamp one side at a time is very helpful especially at switches. In addition, I feel that the split jaw design helps the clamp apply pressure better to each rail, rather than average it to both rails from a single continuous piece of metal.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
This design incorporates the singular block design of the Hillman with the triangular grip of the Split-Jaw. For those people that prefer solid blocks on both sides but don't really like the inverted "T" that seems to be prone to cracking, then this might be a good answer! I wonder if the screws are the same as Split-Jaw or Hillman or if there is a third size we would have to get used to?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts