G Scale Model Train Forum banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Right
I guess this is a concern with any locomotive type boiler especially with coal fired ones.
I am hoping that the axle pump will keep the water level above the crown sheet but I have the hand pump also.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Haven't been working on the Uintah much lately as we are building a new portable steam track for the club and I am redoing the back yard but I did manage to get some plumbing work done

Here is a pop off Dennis made for me. each engine will have two one at 65 and one at 70 psi. the o-ring at the bottom of the base holds the dome on which covers the pop off

I need some micro-valves inside the cab the needle valve has a 2-56 thread

Usually I just silver solder the valve to a tube but this time I decided to git them into a manifold which is the pieces on the left

Here is the completed valve and manifold setup. These valves are for low pressure output so silicone hose will attach to the bottom

Here is the completed backhead. the new valves will service the generator, blow down and blast pipe (if needed)

The feed water return valve sets just under the cab

Here is the superheater "T" which goes in the smokebox

Here is the exhaust collector the two curved pipes pick up the exhaust from the big pipes on the top of the smokebox and the hole on the bottom picks up the exhaust from the front engine.
There is also a drain hole which wasn't done at this time. The stack pipe is opposite the hole shown

Here it is all hooked up The stack screws in th the collector. the tubes in the back are from the superheater

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Well, I finished some projects around the house and we also finished the BAGRS portable track so i started back on the Uintah this week.

A piece of round brass is bored out tp accept the aluminum reflector for the 6v bulb (not shown) there is a space behind the reflector for routing the wire down through the mounting plate. The lens is pollycarbonate. The angled number plate was not used

After studing the prototype, I found than it had a flat recessed number plate which is made on the mill

The completed headlight with the incandescent amber bulb

The two air tanks are to be used as lubricators. I block them off to make a smaller lubricator. A Track Side Detail valve body will be used in making the valve

The TSD valve is drilled out and a 2-56 needle valve is silver soldered in place. The knob is home made

The original had a series of four cooling pipes per tank. I used 1/16" brass rod with 3/32 tubing for the detail and set them with JB Weld.
Notches were machined into the mounting brackets every .200" with a 1/16" end mill to keep everything aligned. Notice how the back side of the bracket is angled away from the side tank

Here it is freshly painted. The gloss should tone down in a few days

As you can see the tanks are mounted between the side tanks and the boiler, thus the offset angled brackets.

Now the assembly and final plumbing is started.

Everything is set in place here. Still needs the bell and the RC and fuel tank and jets set up.

Another view.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Billie

Enjoying the progress towards bring my favorite narrow gauge engine to life. Hope to see it under steam at NSS.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Wow! Really coming along, it looks ready to take to the rails.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Bill, Absolutly fabulous locomotive!!! I have really enjoyed watching you progress and the final product is amazing. Also enjoyed seeing all your fabrication techniques. Thanks for taking the time to post.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Hi Bill, I had kind of forgotten this build until I ran into it today. It was before I built my Nacionales de Mexico 291 which is now my icon photo. I am particularly interested because the N de M had locos #361 - 370 which were very similar but with tenders rather than side tanks and built by Alco-Schenectady. I forget which line they served on in the US before being sold to Mexico. I'd love to have one but that will not happen and they probably would not be able to run on my RR. I really love seeing you work again and glad to see the photos are still here. Thanks, Winn

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Winn
They may be the same locos. 50 & 51 were sold to an Oregon lumber company and the side tanks were removed and tenders added. I think they were renumbered to 250 & 251 and later soled to a Mexican company and eventually scrapped

121 - 135 of 135 Posts