G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2009 I was asked to build a locomotive for a fellow from Arizona. He provided me with a photo and asked what I could do. This is the photo. It was, I'd guess, a tendered main line loco that had been relegated to yard duty. They added two tanks on the boiler, water and oil, and created a truly ugly loco. Just what I like.

I decided that my favorite bash victim, the Bachmann "Indy" 2-6-0 would be just right for this project. I also decided that I'd build two of these things and keep one for my collection. I assumed from the picture that the back of the cab was open and started a search for pictures of locos that were altered as yard mules that had access from the back.

Frames for the tanks were fabricated.

After building two cabs that would be appropriate he sent a picture of our loco that showed that it had an opening on the engineers side and the cab back was partially enclosed. It was start over time for a new cab. The front and back walls were used and new sides were made of styrene.

Cutting to the chase, everything came together and this was the result. Somewhere along the way, interest in finishing the second loco waned and the parts went into a shoe box.

It was delivered and everybody was happy. Two years later there was a lapse in model building here and I decided to finish the second loco. As the prototype was a large standard gauge engine I found that the cab height was so low that I couldn't fit any of my little engineers in it. So, when this version went together the cab grew 3/4 inch at the bottom and that turned the whole loco into a narrow gauger.

Ugly enough for ya? It'll fit right in with the other uglies that line up on the display shelf of the Door Hollow Shortline.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
You are amazing. Only thing that coulda made it uglier woulda been a cab forward version. What amazes me is how simple this modification looks....and I know it isn't.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's amazing how closely you modeled the photo. I like 'em both, but the Sandy Lee Mining engine looks 'uglier'.

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Posted By Dwight Ennis on 06 Aug 2011 05:48 AM
Only thing that coulda made it uglier woulda been a cab forward version.Was that a shot? That was a shot wasn't it?

Great work Bob - as always!!

Don't worry Dwight

Your cab forward is still the uglyist.

Oh, did I really say that?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Aw shucks! Reading the title of this string I was expecting two main battle tanks! Made me wonder for a moment just where "Door Hollow" was heading! Seriously, nice work, and I don't think they are ugly at all.
George

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Well Bob, these turned out very nice indeed.
Looking at your original photograph taken in 1924, one has to wonder what do we build today that will last 53 years? Models like yours perhaps!
The results are outstanding, thanks for posting the photographs.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Ugly? Mr. Brades will scoff!

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
"Only thing that coulda made it uglier woulda been a cab forward version."

Uh, I'll probably get smacked verbally for this, BUT since it IS a saddle-tanker, every time the Johnson bar is in reverse it becomes a cab forward.
I know from experience. There were no turning facilities on the Wanamaker, Kempton & Southern RR. Whenever I ran 65 to Wanamakers, I was running in reverse, and 65 became an ad hoc cab forward. Also had to run right-handed, so I guess that makes me an ambidextrous hogger.

Yours,
David Meashey

·
Registered
848 Posts
Very beautiful job! Is it alcohol or butane fired? Yes, I know it's electric.

·
Super Modulator
21,223 Posts
The question on it's own makes no sense, even the post says he knows it is electric.

reviving a dead thread for those people who read new posts makes no sense.

Calling me sour makes you diminished as a person.

I make a single comment about it being a 10 year old thread, and you have to make a personal comment?

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
This is the first time I and probably others saw this article. I find others creations very interesting, and some give me ideas for future projects. I think that is a sharp locomotive and Bob did a great job. I made a general statement, you chose to take it personally. If I may add, we each make our own decisions as to what makes sense.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts