G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah, double door (fixed the above post), with a transom above.
Musta been braggin' about the hung part...  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

No pressure exerted, nor sensed.  I'm finally having some "phun" out in the shop, watching this thing emerge from a mental picture into something tangible...

Now I just gotta wave the magic card around and get the balance of the exterior features (windows and door) in hand to keep moving forward.

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Duncan
On the custom window or door, Just a rough sketch with measurments is all I need, I'll cut it out and send to you.
Gillbert is just a skip and a hop away after a 1700 mile drive

Catcha latter Dennis, in The show me state

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Okay, the window openings have been ground out to size, and now I'm at a stage where I'll ask for comments or advice.

My intent was to back relieve the openings to reduce the wall thickness, but I'm having second thoughts as to the wisdom of that...

Reason being, with one-by (1X) stock, rabbeting (i think that's what i'm doing) still leaves a ridge/thick wall visible at some angles, and reduces the mass of the structure itself (from a structural perspective).

A work around will be to lightly sand the inside suface of the glazing, giving them a translucent effect.  In short, you won't be able to see in, yet the interior lighting will shine through.

I still will be installing some vertical ribs between the windows (base to peak) whose purpose wil be to maintain straightness of the panels themselves, which seem to be prone to "warping"  when exposed to moisture, in addition to the corner joint reinforcements.

I'm starting to lean towards the translucent window glazing.

Comments???

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Dennis,
Thanks for the offer.  (didn't realize you were all the way over by the middle of the country...)
Lemme get squared away on some stuff, and see what it is that I really need.
Maybe we could sit down and sketch when you come out???

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Duncan
Your wall is looking great, personally I think you are your biggest critic, the wall being thick will probably never be noticed, unless you locate it at a height off the ground that a person could see by bending over just a little. If you place it at foot level and you have a critic that is critsizing your work "KICK" their butt when they are down that low. 
Another thought for supporting your walls to help prevent warpage, is to build a room in the corner, two boards fastened together and fastened to the wall. This will also provide at night the look of a room closed off and light off, or a light on in that room only, or set it up for a room on both floors with there light off. 
I would be more than glad to talk about custom windows or doors, at the convention. 
Dennis

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Duncan,
I said it before and I will again - you da man!. I love this project and your attention to detail is outstanding. I hope to post next week my newest addition to the GYT&S - Captain Ted’s Crab Shack. Our add slogan is .. We got da crabs!
Best, Ted

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Duncan,
Glad to see your efforts displayed on the little screen with your usual entertaining wit.

Keep it coming

Howard

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, after being stalled for a number of weeks, waiting for Grandt Line products from Oak Ridge Hobbies (that's unuther story...), the last component that I needed to verify the measurement of arrived.

That would have been the double (hung or otherwise) door.

I did an initial layout of the opening, based upon the dimensions on the Grandt Line website, and rather than commit to making a hole before I had the parts to install on hand, I waited.

And waited.

But then one day, a box did arrive (having been forwarned by a Quantum View alert). The door set (doubly unhung) was in there, as were most of the windows I needed to finish the building, and a chimbbly, for visual efect only...

The balance of the window may arrive this next month(s) or so...

Anyway, the door set (incredibly unhung, given all the parts that were in that single bag) measured out precisely to the dimensions that had been described on the Grandt Line site, so I could have gotten away with cutting the hole, parts unseen or fondled.

My luck, they would have sent a pair of single doors (hung or not, I don't care at this point), which would have been a real bummer. Sorta like substituting two dwarfs for one Shaquile O'Neal. No gain.

So parts in hand, measurements verified, and electricity still on to the house, I cut the remaining opening in the buildings wall, and finally got the walls braced, bisquited, glued, bradded and clamped tonight.

Oh, also dimensionally cut the roof panels, bevel cut to make a 30 degree pitch, and carved out a ridge beam (out of 2X4) for the roof panels to be supported by from underneath. The roof is gonna weight a ton, but it shouldn't blow off..

Here we are, all clamped up and sitting for the next 24 hours (or so)...

Next up will be rabbet cutting the eaves on the roof panels, once I have the clearances measuered and marked.

(we don't want to get into why I am sooooo glad that I had extra roof panels done. let's just say that I'll be making shake shingled roofs for an out house or two...)

G

·
0 Posts
i adore two things on these photos.
the precisionbuilt house and the well equipped workshop.
and? do you allready know, what you built?
courthouse?
school?
hospital?
social club?
(to name the most basics)

two storeys, no false front, solid apearance... to me it looks like a courthouse.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Posted By kormsen on 04/15/2008 2:26 AM
i adore two things on these photos.
the precisionbuilt house and the well equipped workshop.
and? do you allready know, what you built?
courthouse?
school?
hospital?
social club?
(to name the most basics)
two storeys, no false front, solid apearance... to me it looks like a courthouse.

Thanks for the compliments...

Still working on my clamp "inventory expansion"...

If this building turns out the way I have envisioned (appearance/quality/etc.) it will be the "G.M. Thomson Silversmith & Assay Office", in honor of my elderly aunt who is an ardent antique silver collector. Spoons, goblets, calling card trays, and other assorted things from a time gone by...

She has expressed an interest in the railroad, wants to know what changes have been made since we last talked, and thinks that it is absolutely wonderful that a grown man plays in the dirt with his trains... She's always been a free spirit. And a psychologist...

If it doesn't come out the way I want, then it might become a bank or grange office...

As far a social clubs, we already have the Donner Pass Gentlemen's Club (since renamed, but i'm in negotiations to restore it's original status...) /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

G

·
0 Posts
i hope for you and your aunt, that it will be 100%.
(because a clapboarded bank would not get my savings)

and if you want to use even more clamps, you should build "L" or "U" shaped buildings. ;-)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts