G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a lot of cells and tables in my railroad pages..
check out my NYSW roster page:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/susquehanna/

All those rosters were built in Excel, then converted to HTML with Excel,

then the code was pasted into the main webpage..

it works..but its a MESS!

The HTML code generated by excel is a billion miles long, and once its in HTML form,
its virtually impossible to edit..(I cant easily change a cell color for example..because I cant tell where or what to edit!)

So to solve this problem, I started doing screen captures of my Excel rosters,
converting them to Gifs, and using those in the webpage! ;) as seen here:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/FGLK/

SO MUCH easier to work with!

When I want to update a roster entry, I simply make the change in excel,
do a new copy and paste, replace the image, and done..takes seconds.

But! major problem with that method..the rosters are not real text!
they are images..which I guess isnt a huge deal, but it could limit things like

google finding my pages when people search for particular locomotives..
because the roster info on my page doesnt technically exist as text to be searched..

Is there a better way to convert the excel files to HTML?
a neater and easier way?

im working with 10 year old technology here..maybe something better has come along

that im not aware of..

thanks!

Scot

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Yep....not only is Microsoft Office bloatware...it CREATES bloatware. If you're into creating the slowest web site you've ever seen, it's a good choice.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
You can convert the Excel file to the spreadsheet application of Google Docs then export as html or pdf. Must have a Google account to use Google Docs (its free). Or you can find and install one of the free pdf creation programs out there. Not sure if any of these can convert an Excel file. At home and at work I use the complete Adobe Acrobat package (thanks to my boss). As you have found out, converting any MS Office file to a html file results in a bloated file with dismal display formating when viewed on line.

Joe

Earlier I tried sending a reply to this using the Quick Reply box. Sure I hit the submit button, maybe not. I don't know.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Scot

There are many conversion programs available out there, which cover the whole range from "free" to the "high-end pricey" ones. They'll take the native ".xls" and/or workbook files and output them in HTML v4.0 or XHTML v1.0 compatible format. Just use Google and do a search for excel xls to HTML XHTML conversion. then peruse the results until you find one that meets your needs in conversion abilities and price tag.

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
Scot,

Microsoft always adds gazillions of style sheet blocks to their html pages, as you discovered.

I create tables using a non-microsoft web site package. (I use NetObjects Fusion, but I also used a Corel freebie and a couple of others.)

Make up the tables in Excel, then highlight the area you want on the web page and do a copy -> paste operation to put it on the web page. You still don't end up with a spreadsheet object, but at least it is a table that you can edit.
Like this: http://www.watergatecommunity.org/old-html/body_useful_numbers.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts