G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
They are certainly sticklers for detail , this is a turbo-generator housing that I make for a german customer , some of his contacts make these working units!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Richard,
no I am not selling this generator.
The guy whats to build a small batch of them.

Regards

Ralf

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I can't remember who told me this, but he said it was a small DC cell phone vibrator motor that is used as a generator. I'm suprised it can withstand the heat.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
There are also small DC motors used inside old analog video cameras to move tape and zoom the lens. These are slightly larger than the cell phone motors, but not by much. The ones I pulled out were attached to gear boxes, which were easily removed. I have several that look like they'd fit in the housing in the picture and they all produce very high rpm with little torque. The ones I have are Sony and JVC and run on 7.2 volts. I spun one in a drill and it produced a voltage varrying from 3 to 5 volts. The variation in voltage is probably because I used a variable speed drill and didn't keep the trigger pulled tight. I did not measure the amperage, but suspect it's very small. If a voltage regulator is used, 3 volts could be maintained to operate an LED in a headlight.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Here is a photograph of three of the DC video camera motors I talked about earlier. The Hadden valve gives you an idea of size. Notice that one of them has a small brass flywheel. This is the one I got 3v out of. I have two others that are not shown and are smaller, but their bodies are rectangular instead of round. Another not shown is also round, but oscillates instead of rotates. I think it was a shutter motor.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I knew I shouldn't have tossed that old vid camera. CD-ROM drive have some small motors also. Hmm....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts