G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Biloxi-Gulfport airport today to meet with the Supervisory TSA agent and try and sort out the security affair. No luck ! The TSA position is that if there are any flamable vapors detectable it is not going to allow the item to be cleared. Any trace of butane or meths will keep the item here. Coal doesn't fare any better , even though I presented what to me was a compelling argument. The meeting was very civilized , but there seems to be no light at the end of this tunnel. The unanswered question was " what if the locomotive was brand new and in the original packing " Still requires scanning?

Still , you'll need to ship to my home if you need a locomotive for Diamondhead.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Jerry,

While I am quite a ways away from being an attendee of Diamondhead, I compliment you on your efforts to improve travel to Diamondhead for its attendees.

Props to you! At least you'll be one of few to say you've got more locomotives in your household for some time :)

Mike

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Jerry, thanks for the update. I'll be driving down with a few other guys (yes, carpool). I made my reservations last week. Is it too early to start counting the days? (211)

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Why oh why can't there be a real train that goes down to Diamnondhead. Now that would be fun.....

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
[rant]Please don't get me started on this immoral, disreputable minority employment democratic scam!!!! GOD help this country. When are we going to stand up for what our ancestors fought for. I know this is not the place, if not please direct me to the proper site. [/rant]

John Neal

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
John
If you know it is not the place then why put your comments here?
Public forum, this is specific to live steam not politics

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
We all went over this whole TSA debate at great length some time back. You can search the old archives if you want, but lets not open a new can of worms.

Thanks Jerry, for hosting the Grand Daddy of all steam ups and for offering folks a place to ship their engines too.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Here is the problem.

My father was stopped in a large Eastern airport this spring with a 3oz bottle unlabled (contained Scotch, it is the only way to fly afterall) as he has done for years and years (just the bottle got smaller after the UK scare).

It was taken from him as he was told the rules were that all bottles were required to be labeled. He asked for the bottle back to "label" it and was told he could no longer touch it as he tried to sneek it on once before or the like.....

Dad checked the rules and called their main number and sure enough, he was right, the screener supervisor was wrong.

BUT....the screener at that site is the one that will either allow or not allow you to get on the plane. So even if you get one that says yes or no, have a copy of the rules with you, etc, it doesn't mean the one on the next shift will follow the rules or do the same thing.

We are betting that the Sotch did not hit the trash, dad doesn't buy the cheap stuff.....

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
with a 3oz bottle unlabled (contained Scotch

Actually, not meaning to be argumentative, but I think there's a different rule about bringing opened liquor bottles onto planes. I got stopped years ago with a flask of scotch in my bag (larger than 3oz, but it was the 1990s,) which the screener made me empty in the washbasin. Good malt whiskey too. Sob. Sob.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Isn't is amazing how these threads sometimes deviate from the subject at hand? :confused:

The Point here is that Jerry took the time and trouble to talk to the TSA folks for us and to let us know the results of the talk.

THANKS JERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
We just need one of the rich guys to borrow his corporate learjet and stop off at all the states to pickup engines only, since I doubt the jet would be big enough to carry people too lol

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
Posted By dhamer52 on 06/19/2008 3:42 PM
Why oh why can't there be a real train that goes down to Diamnondhead. Now that would be fun.....

Amtrak's Crescent Limited stops in Slidel, about 30-40 minutes from DH. You'd have to arrange for someone to pick you up from the station. There's contingent that used to travel down from DC on the Crescent ever year. I don't know if anyone still does or not. Excellent service and food, though I have to admit looking at dormant kudzu for 2/3 of the trip isn't exactly what I'd describe as "scenic beauty."

The Sunset Limited stops in Biloxi and New Orleans, if you're coming from Florida, Texas, or the southwest. Both locations should have rental car agencies if you don't want to arrange pickup. Biloxi's maybe 30 minutes east of DH.

The City of New Orleans terminates in New Orleans.

Lots of options for rail travel to DH. It's the only way to fly.

Later,

K

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
About five years ago, or maybe it was ten, Tom Toth and I left out of Dearborn, Michigan, and connected with the City of New Orleans in Chicago. At the time United airlines had a deal with Amtrak, so we flew back on United.

It took about a day and a half, and the scenery wasn't that great, but the food was good, and it was a really nice ride.

One of our other members, Alex Azary, has taken the City of N.O. three or four times. There was a Greyhound connection from N.O. that dropped him one exit from DH on I-10. I used to pick him up.

If you are not in a hurry, it is a great way to travel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts