G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Thinking ahead to DH, I know Jerry Reshew did some investigation into carrying our toys onto airplanes but I saw no definitive conclusion on that. And it looks as if TSA has again modified their policies regarding "flammable vessels" in their documentation - I don't see any reference to that at all as in the past. So, other than the all encompassing disclaimer allowing them to declare something prohibited that's not on the list it looks like live steam engines with empty fuel containers would be fine. What do guys think?

Also, what do we do about carrying steam oil? Would it go through as a 3oz or less carry-on item?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Rob,
I'm bringing an engine from the UK for Jerry, I know we don't have the same problems with TSA over here but what I have done, is to remove the fuel tank from the engine and post that directlley to Jerry through the normal mail. I have cleaned the engine and left it to air so that it will be as odour free as possible. I will then hand carry the fuel free engine in January. Have you considered a similar approach ? Ship the offending fuel tank separately ?

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I tried to reach Mr. Dion , the TSA supervisor at Gulfport for a couple of weeks and finally spoke with him last Friday ( at home on leave ) . He promised to get back to me this week , but he did say the new regulations would certainly give us trouble with any hint of flammable fumes. The original positive reaction that I had has been shot down and we are where we started. Ron asked me to write up the adventure with TSA for the magazine , but I'm still waiting for a formal statement from these guys. From where I sit it looks bleak.

Jerry

·
Registered
308 Posts
Tom,
Unfortunatley Alfas cant swim! or I would also.. Ill be shipping stuff two weeks before to Jerry .and shipping back on the monday am..

Gordon.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Gordon,
Glad to hear that you are going to attend this year. Looking forward to seeing you again.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Regarding steam oil: NO. Last year, TSA opened my checked bag, in which I had my toolkit, in which I had a pen oiler with maybe 10 cc of light machine oil. They confiscated it. I can almost guarantee you that a bottle of steam oil, even in checked baggage, will not go, unless you can somehow disguise it as dandruff shampoo in your toiletries bag.

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
Yep only way to get there is drive. Of course you folks overseas could come by boat. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
The other way to get there is by train as I'm going to do this year. I won't be able to carry as much stuff as when I drove, but at least I can take something with me.

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
The other way to get there

I guess you can always pack it and send it UPS. BTW - when I was shipping PCs around the country, I found that UPS Ground was safest. Fedex Overnight invariably trashed the box - must have tossed it around several times.

It's getting to the point where we could call a trucking company and have them drive a truck all over the country picking up locos and supplies and driving them (carefully) to DH. Wouldn't be that expensive if the cost was shared.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Pete
If I recall correctly this past summer a pallet(we had to prepare) of trains shipped to California for the NSS via freight was about $2700 with a 5 day time frame.

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Posted By Charles on 10/22/2008 12:21 PM
Pete
If I recall correctly this past summer a pallet(we had to prepare) of trains shipped to California for the NSS via freight was about $2700 with a 5 day time frame.

Wow. That's expensive. I shipped a 28' powerboat from CA to MD for only $2000 (in 1998.) Trucking my current 34' powerboat from MD to FL is only about $2700 (2006 $.)

I'm sure this was discussed last year (and I don't know why I'm discussing it as I can't make it TO dh anyway!) For $2,700, I'll bet some fellow live steamer with a van would happily pick up (and down) the East Coast from Vermont to DH. I'd consider it, as the real estate business ain't doin' nuttin' these days!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Posted By Charles on 10/22/2008 12:21 PM
Pete

Charles:
$2700? What, Why or How - insurance, handling, transit time...?

I've heard rumors of some falling really hard for the California and the NSS mystique but this must set some kind of record

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I check the invoice for that shipment: correct price for 4x4x4 crate weight 545 was $1250, sorry for the "sticker shock" incorrect initial posting. Got quite a few engines, supplies and tools in that space!

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Rob,

One way cost for the engines as well as tools and supplies --- and almost half the price was the insurance at replacement value for five engines out and six engines back.

Best regards,

Alan

·
Registered
151 Posts
Posted By aceinspp on 10/21/2008 6:30 PM
Yep only way to get there is drive. Of course you folks overseas could come by boat.  Later RJD

Well I checked here Cunard.com: there are no trans-Atlantic crossing in January (or they are all booked solid). Some freight ships do have a few passenger cabins and something tells me that extra luggage would not be a problem ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Rob and all other interested parties

Here are some quotes as based on the shipment that Alan arranged for NSS(one way at current arrangements):

Yellow Freight Direct 5 Business Days $1,173.92 $663.52 $510.40 Discount

Old Dominion Freight Lines Indirect 5 Business Days $1,841.40 $1,040.79 $800.61

Central Transport International Direct 7 Business Days $2,062.13 $1,165.55 $896.58

Roadway Express Direct 7 Business Days $2,210.23 $1,249.26 $960.97

R & L Carriers Direct 4 Business Days $4,634.68 $2,619.60 $2,015.08

New England Motor Freight Direct 0 Business Days $5,456.08 $3,083.87 $2,372.21

1 - 19 of 19 Posts