G Scale Model Train Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
BTW - I was poking around the new part of the site and found the Photo Gallery.

Can anyone use it? What's the restrictions/parameters?

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
I think you are allowed 96 pics... lol
I think it was the 1st class solution. It doesn't play nice with 8.1....
Everybody can have them...
John

·
Junior Senior Member
566 Posts
So what happens when you try to upload the 97th? Do they remove the first ones, later ones, or just say you cannot upload any more pics?

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
I became a 1st class member in 2002, and started building my webpages in the MLS space then..
uploading .html files and jpegs to my "MLS space"..after about 4 years I filled up the space completely..
back then, when your space was full and you tried to uploading something new you would just get an error,
you couldnt upload anything new, nothing would delete unless you deleted it manually..
So if you wanted to upload something new, you had to delete something else to make room..

At that point I switched to imageshack for photos, I kept the .html files on MLS but just mapped the images on the webpages over to imageshack..

imageshack sucked..they would start deleting photos after 6 months to a year,
so I switched to photobucket..photobucket also sucked (for me) because the free version of photobucket has bandwidth limits..
if you exceeded the limits (which I did, all the time) they would just shut off your photos for a month..

So finally I had to switch over to a paid image host..I have been using smugmug for about 5 years now,
$45 a year, but no problems whatsoever..
My snowblower webpages eat up WAY more bandwidth than my train pages..so to keep those pages alive,
I have to pay..its worth it to me! ;) Its only $3.75 a month, for no image hassles at all..unlimited image uploads and bandwidth.

http://scotlawrence.smugmug.com/

So back to MLS..
before, when you logged into your MLS space, it would give you a message like:

"You are currently using 52 MB of your allotted 100 MB"

if you filled it up completely, up to 100mb, it had some other message I dont remember..
something about being "full"..and you simply couldnt upload anything new unless you deleted something first..

For the past several years, my message has been:

"You are currently using 100 MB of your allotted MB."

I know im full..I have been full for a decade or so..
but it no longer says "your alotted (number) of MB".
it no longer says what your alotted number is..

I can still add new files! I stopped uploading photos ages ago,
but I update my .html files all the time..(and upload new ones a lot too..)
I havent had an MLS upload error in ages, many years..
MLS is still letting me upload new files..

I just did the math..my MLS space has 105 MB in it.
perhaps there is a new limit? larger than 100 MB? it would seem so..
I dont know what it is..I doubt its unlimited, but it seems you can go above 100MB,
and have been able to do so for years now..

Scot

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
perhaps there is a new limit? larger than 100 MB? it would seem so..
I dont know what it is..I doubt its unlimited, but it seems you can go above 100MB,
and have been able to do so for years now..
Sounds like it would be nice to become a 1st class member.
I wonder what the new limit might be. (Kevin?)
P.S. Scot - I recall exactly the same problem a few years ago - having to delete files to find room for new ones.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts