G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year to everyone.
These are a couple of Troop sleepers I've recently completed. They have been one of those on again, off again projects, but with the current movement restrictions I've kind of run out of excuses. Under construction the cars have been to Arizona once and Hawaii twice. (I have to say the workshop in Hawaii was the best.) All this travelling and they've not turned a wheel in Alberta yet.
Cheers.
Harvey.

DSCN0176.JPG
DSCN0178.JPG
DSCN0187.JPG
DSCN0201.JPG
DSCN0203.JPG
DSCN0204.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
Harvey,
IF they are Troop Sleepers, why do they say Baggage on the sides.
Were they converted after the second world war?
Where were they used as Troop Sleepers?
Happy New Year,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Harvey, Had to look it up, and they did move our troops in them. Not only beautiful and very detailed models, but a great history attached. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice job! The B&O RR Museum has one on display - looks just the same - only it was made by Pullman so it is First Class.
http://www.borail.org/7437.aspx
Hello Pete, I've been in this one and as you may know they have a very good internal display of how they would have looked in WWII. They were all sold off after the war and most were used as baggage cars as per the two the NAR managed to acquire one of which still exists in a nearby museum.
Thanks for your comments.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Harvey,
IF they are Troop Sleepers, why do they say Baggage on the sides.
Were they converted after the second world war?
Where were they used as Troop Sleepers?
Happy New Year,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
Hello David, Happy New Year to you.
I think Pullman built about 2,400 of these cars for moving troops around during WWII some were sleepers and some kitchen cars. They were all sold off after the war and the NAR tried to acquire six but were only able to get two. They were converted to baggage cars and served the railway well until taken over by CN.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There was one for sale in our area not too long ago.
I'm surprised a museum has not snapped this up. It looks a little rough but I think a sand blast and paint job would bring it back to near original condition. Replacing the interior with the original setup would provide a very good education exhibit for the younger population. Thanks for showing us this.
Cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts