G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ryan and Jeff have been working to improve the performance of the Cab Forward.

There are denoted aspect of the AC-11/12 that can be changed to ensure longevity on the rails as well as an efficient running.
Just in time for Jim Stapleton's meet this coming weekend there will be to upgraded CF's on the rails. The significant changes to the one Jeff and Ryan will have ready centers around cylinder changes and steam passages.
Breakdown of the unit in preparation for work to be done:

Original cylinder set:

Jeff's finished work having re-ported the cylinders (next step with be to cross port):

Ryan putting the set back together and timing the engine:

The next steps will be the cross port plate, combination levers, along with suspension and steam delivery pivot.

A service soon to be offered by Triple R services.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Tins work better for timing then rollers. I can control the resistance with my finger better.

There's a scientific reason...and the fact that I am just too lazy to get out the rollers.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems to be a proven "treadmill" short cut and well established in the TR3 shops:

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Hi Guys,
Looking good all around there.

We now have the S2 running beautifully with a 10 car Aristo pullman green train. Next weekend is Stauver's Steamup in Portland Ore.

Typical live steam stuff. The S2 was not running quite right, so we stripped it back to the cylinders and put it back together.
We do not have a clue what we did, but now we have a great four beats coming out

Regards
jim o

Ryan- I Like the external throttle on the Daylight a whole bunch

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Jim Overland on 09/07/2008 1:21 PM
Hi Guys,
Looking good all around there.
We now have the S2 running beautifully with a 10 car Aristo pullman green train. Next weekend is Stauver's Steamup in Portland Ore.
Typical live steam stuff. The S2 was not running quite right, so we stripped it back to the cylinders and put it back together.
We do not have a clue what we did, but now we have a great four beats coming out
Regards
jim o
Ryan- I Like the external throttle on the Daylight a whole bunch

The "clue" is, you learned the magic! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Anybody removed the Accucraft drain cocks? I've heard they are threaded and then soldered. Others report they are soldered only and have to be drilled out. Could they be different on different locos?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chris
Believe that they are only soft soldered in therefore can just heat them and removed (though have not done so to confirm).

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Ryan,

When the cylinders are reworked with larger ports, are you also increasing the size of the drilled steam passageways? I couldn't tell from the picture. Looks like nice work.

Ross Schlabach

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Charles, Ryan and Jeff,

I can't wait to see the results in person at Dr. Rivet's this weekend.

Jim, I'm glad to hear the S2 is running that well. Have fun in Portland!

Best regards,

Alan

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Ross,

All steam passages (intake and exhaust) have been opened. The increase in size comes out to about 2.5mm from the OEM 1.5mm. The bore of the cylinder is then honed, all surfaces are wet-sanded and 2x PTFE compression "split" rings are fitted to each piston. The results, combined with the Combination lever retrofits are impressive. It's like stroking a hot-rod, torque on demand!

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Ryan
How did you drill out the exhaust coming from the port? Looks like they drilled it or used GS4 cylinders and added a vertical port on the cylinder they plugged the side exit. Did you redrill out the plug and resolder in a new plug?

Also are you running out of the .050 split rings? or are you sanding down the .100 ones?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Jay,

We left the exhaust coming from the port alone, mostly because we were running low on time. In order to get the exhaust hogged out, we would have had to increase the piping in the crossover manifold.

Yes, I am running out of the .050 rings. I have a bunch of the .100 rings left, but they don't seat as well under the increased flow, a leak down test showed this. The next .050 ones that are going to be made have to have the ID increased in size. I'll bring down the rest of the stock to the IE&W

1 - 14 of 14 Posts