G Scale Model Train Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I'm a new member and happened to be scrolling through the various forums when I saw this thread. I was happy to see the message from Steve C. that referenced my on-line RGS Trestle Clinic from one of the National Narrow Gauge Conventions a few years back. As part of that clinic I actually built a few sample 1:20.3 trestle sections from various bridges on the RGS high line near Ophir, Colorado. I gave all of those away at the convention. Now that I'm getting into outdoor railroading, I plan on building several of those trestles again. As for the bent spacing question, the prototypes used 16 feet center-to-center as a quasi-standard. In 1:20.3 scale, that works out to about 9.45 inches.

Bob Hyman
http://members.cox.net/sn3nut/

The following is a reference on how the 1:1's did it, and modeling the same.

Trestles - RGS Style / Part 1

Trestles - RGS Style / Part 2

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would suggest that you put up 6 INCH side walls on the most curved parts I cut down 1 by 6 pressure treated wood to 1/4 inch so it is flexable to bend around the curve ,I have over 200 feet of raised track in my 550 foot layout. I got tiired of cleaning and repairing my engines when they wood fly off a small twig will cause big problems I really like your trestle nice work .I found its best to dig a trench and add gravel then sand on top before putting trestle outside so wood will not rot out and have to be replaced .I learned this by doing just that replacing pieces. Two years in the wood seems to be holding up. Remenmber to run your trains during construction if you can running is half the fun .

41 - 43 of 43 Posts