G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a ton of reading and research on what kind of trestle to make I made my mind up. I am using 5/8 Western Red Cedar fence boards at 5 feet long. I ripped 7 boards down to 5/8 square and made a jig that seems to speed things up. Things are going wonderful. I know that 1/2 square is the right scale but after making a few prototypes I like the 5/8 square and it makes my life easier on the table saw.

I will have pictures posted later this afternoon but there is one question I have. I am trying to find out what the spacing should be between the trestles? I was thinking it should be 12 inch apart but it looks too far apart. With all the information I did get I never did find out haw far to space them....LOL.. Keep in mind that my entire layout will be on the Trestle 16 inch high and shaped as a triangle.

Pictures can be seen at my web site. http://users.eastlink.ca/~brownscountry/Gscale.htm

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After much research and trying to decide what kind of Trestle to make and what to make it out of I finally came to a decision and began production. I began with a 5/8 Western Red Cedar fence board 5 feet long which will make 3 trestles. I then made one free hand at 16 inch high then made a template or Jig to speed up production as recommended by reading MLS forums.

I am in the process of making 20 of them to start with and then plan to join them together in modules for ease of assembly out doors. Once I get it all figured out I will then purchase more wood to continue.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
If you are modeliing 1:20, I find that around 7-8 inches apart for the bents looks about right.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
I've used 6 inch spacing as a general guideline usually modified to distribute the bents evenly across the span I'm bridging.

This trestle is about 7.5 inch spacing between bents (center to center):

This one is closer to 6 inch spacing:

On the first I used X bracing but here I did not just to change the look. Hope this is helpful.

Best,
TJ

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Like he said, 6 to 7 seems to "look" the best. If it was taller then 3 bays, then maybe go to 7 to 8 or so . . .

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Constructing the stringers and ties are posing more of a challenge then the Trestles themselves. Trying to bend 5/8 inch square to a form a 10 foot diameter track is not working out well for me. Next I will have to try and soak the stringers then try bending them.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Navy Tech, when I did mine, and the trestles were 6 in apart, on corners I cut the stringers on angles to fit around with the track, dont have pics of it, the farther apart its harder to make the angle fit with the track, but when they are close you can follow it better. I hope I explained it good enough to understand it without pics.

tom h

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
This shows an 8 foot diameter Aristo curve section stringer assemble in the jig. I've a similar jig for 10 foot curve pieces but don't have a picture handy. That's why the first trestle picture I posted had ~7.5 inches on center, it was made up of 10 foot curves.

Using the track as a guide I glue and brad the wooden ties. Note that there are three pieces of stringer for each rail for each piece of track. No bending required. Pop (carefully) the section out of the jig and it's ready to go on the bents.

I space the wood ties so the Aristo plastic ties mesh and are held fairly securely. Later I add side trim and then stain and oil everything.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,
TJ

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Do you have a band saw or a scroll saw? What about notching them. Maybe cut them 3/4 of the way through then bending them. maybe the kerf of the saw blade will be knough Also try putting glue in the notches to hold the curve and seal the wood.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tj-lee I like what you have done it looks nice.

I have 2 issues with how you join the stringers together.
First is that is a lot of lumber to jusr rest the track on.
The second is That I am not sure that I want to add ties between the actual rail ties. It does look beefy but I would like to have the freedom of moving the track around on top of the stringers.

I would like to have the stringers long and thin as the rail ties and attach directly to the trestle so that I just have to place the track on top and add a couple of nails here and there to hold it down.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If the bent spacing is 7 inches, I might try to do 14 inch stringers with mitered ends then I would stagger the joints in the stringers, in other words inside and outside
stringers joints are not on the same bents. On the trestle that I did I used my brad nailer quite a bit. But I think I started drilling pilot holes and using some stainless
steel square drive molding screws thru the bent cap into some of the piles.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By John J on 12/18/2008 4:57 AM

Do you have a band saw or a scroll saw? What about notching them. Maybe cut them 3/4 of the way through then bending them. maybe the kerf of the saw blade will be knough Also try putting glue in the notches to hold the curve and seal the wood.

What John J is referring to is explained in the following...

[url]http://www.woodworkingspecialops.com/page2.htm[/b][/url]

The following is a reference on how the 1:1's did it, and modeling the same.

Trestles - RGS Style / Part 1[/b]

Trestles - RGS Style / Part 2[/b]

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree that at 7 inch apart it looks much better. I am still working out the stringer problem as I do not wish to add ties to the top of my stringers when the track has ties already there. I may just attach the stringer to the trestle and that's it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts