G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so it's not EXACTLY railroad related... BUT it IS pretty much a 1/24th scale model, and I'm having a ball building it. :D With any luck it SHOULD be able to chuck a golf ball more than 50 feet. My progress so far....

Builders log page....
http://www.catfish-hollow.com/trebuchet.html

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
For the first few tests I would not have any windows anywhere downrange for 300 ft! Nor within 200 ft of either side of the intended trajectory. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm kind of "lucky" in that regard. There is an elementary school right beside us with multiple soccer fields...not only nice and wide open, but neatly mown so we'll be able to find the stupid balls again as well.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Are you planning on using a counterweight basket? I can only get mine to throw about 30 ft. consistently, but I only have stones in the basket and I think lead would get you the 50 ft. easily! Can't wait to see your success with this one!

Chris

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A quick calculation of the "basket" says it will hold a bit over 56 cubic inches of lead. If I manage to pour it without too many voids that will be about a 23-1/2 pound counterweight... The throwing arm ratio is something like 4.2:1 (about average). The trick will be in getting the sling length and release finger angle dialed in.... seems it's sort of an art form because I couldn't find any quantified data or even a "best suggestion" as far as optimums.

G

·
0 Posts
Well leased it is not using gun power! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif
Toad

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
We made them of lego!

This one, using 2 boxes of crayons for counterweight, could throw a marble hard enough to make a mark in the ceiling at the far end of the hall and get us in trouble with Mom.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tire balancing weights I had were obviously NOT pure lead (probably a lead zinc alloy by the smell /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif ) I know there are quite a few voids as well. The result? A measly 12 pound counterweight. Far lighter than I hoped for, but we'll see how it works anyway. I have some lead bars coming, so I may eventually dump this weight and refill the box.

·
Registered
101 Posts
guys Im not debateing your info , but heres info from wikipedia on the subject http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trebuchet, as for the french using the trebuchets , well edward longshanks was a normand prince and he was in england , grand son of william the conquer(who invaded britian in 1066) so you can say the british were using them too rule britania and all that

G

·
0 Posts
as grandson of William the conquerer one might discuss, if he still was an occupying french/normann or if he allready was english...
but he definitely was not british. being british was invented looong after him.

edit: and, what means british? it means being from Britanny, the Bretagne so that would mean being french..../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Edward 'Longshanks' was not Norman, but Angevin.

As for the term 'British', it is derived from the P-Celtic name of the large island - Pretan/Prithain, given to it by its inhabitants. This name pre-dates the Roman conquest of 44 AD, and is the reason why the Romans called the island Britannia.

The Normans, themselves recent intruders/settlers into northern France, did not invade until 1066, 1022 years later.

The main Celtic language spoken on the large island was one of the two Brythonic Celtic languages, of which Welsh, Cornish and Breton are the three isolated survivors.

The descriptive title 'Great Britain' has nothing to do with the vainglorious aspirations of the British people - the original term was 'Greater Britain', to distinguish it from 'Lesser Britain'. Lesser Britain is now called Brittany - the north-west peninsular of France, where Breton is still spoken.

I hope this clears it up for you all.

tac

·
Registered
688 Posts
My friend built one of these that would throw bowling balls, it was amazing. If i remember it was about 8 feet tall and could punch through the old barn with ease. His current project is a full size one, the only problem he forsees is the lack of available ammo.
Terry

1 - 20 of 27 Posts