G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a redwood bridge kit from Germany(cheaper postage to UK).

There is one word that I cannot find a translation for; here is the sentence with the word at the end

The bridge cheeks (horizontals?)are threaded with brass rods M2 all individually verbolzt.

The word is 'verbolzt'; the nearest I have found is 'gib' which I think is the same as a key (as in keyway); the other possibility is that it could be tapped with a screw thread, and have nuts supplied to fit onto the brass rods(2mm diameter?) with the ends of the tapped to 2mm diameter.

The website is as follows http://gartenbahnparts.com/eshop/index.php, and go to the bridges section and it is in the 65 cm long bridge.

Has anyone an idea please?

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Part of my family published one of the last German language newspapers in the US in eastern PA. It did not rub off on me, why I got a D in my last college German class years ago...... Dictionaries and verb drill books come in handy.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Thank you for all the replies they have been most helpful, and have answered my question/plea.

It is just a different way of saying that all the brass tension rods are bolted at the ends.

Thanks again!

G

·
0 Posts
The bridge cheeks (horizontals?)are threaded with brass rods M2 all individually verbolzt.

...are threaded with brass rods M2 all individually held together by rivets.
"Bolzen" could be translated as bolt or rivet or pin.
"ver..." often means "do with"
"ver...t" often means "done with"

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
That word had me stumped :D

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
'The bridge sides are all individually bolted with M2 threaded brass rods.'
The word that may have caused you grief was 'Messinggewindestangen' - literally 'brass-screw-threaded-poles/rods'....

It's made of red cedar too, VERY nice.

Ich habe vielleicht einen Fehler in meiner Übersetzung des Textes gemacht, aber ich habe sehr starken Glauben an meiner Fähigkeit, die deutsche Sprache zu sprechen und zu lesen. Ich benutze jeden Tag meines Lebens wenigstens drei verschiedene Sprachen, und die deutsche Sprache ist einer von ihnen.

Beste Wünsche nach Ost-Anglia!

tac

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Posted By Spule 4 on 06/20/2008 4:22 PM
Verbolzen is the German verb "to bolt" .

I knew that.:D I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want you to think I was a KNOW IT ALL /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Posted By tacfoley on 06/21/2008 2:39 PM
'The bridge sides are all individually bolted with M2 threaded brass rods.'
The word that may have caused you grief was 'Messinggewindestangen' - literally 'brass-screw-threaded-poles/rods'....
It's made of red cedar too, VERY nice.
Ich habe vielleicht einen Fehler in meiner Übersetzung des Textes gemacht, aber ich habe sehr starken Glauben an meiner Fähigkeit, die deutsche Sprache zu sprechen und zu lesen. Ich benutze jeden Tag meines Lebens wenigstens drei verschiedene Sprachen, und die deutsche Sprache ist einer von ihnen.
Beste Wünsche nach Ost-Anglia!
tac

Hi Tac,

Thanks for that, you have put into words what I thought it was going to be. Most helpful!

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Dear Mr J - but you are a MODERATOR - by default, you MUST know it all./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

tac

1 - 12 of 12 Posts