G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just finished up the freight transfer shed and got it nailed down. As soon as I get the turntable pit finished (large white area in picture) I can get the scenery base finished around it so it looks like part of the scene not something roosting on top.

A "Transfer" was an area used to manually transfer freight from standard gauge cars to narrow gauge cars and vice versa. This shed was based loosly on one located on the East Broadtop. Kevin Strong was kind enough to send me the picture last year after I made a general request for information.

This has a Redwood base and structure with Doughboy pool metal as the corrigated roofing/siding. The shack is my first attempt at using Acrylic for buildings, kind of curious how well it will hold up in this sever heat.

This picture shows the transfer from the narrow gauge track side.

This end view shows the standard gauge track on the left. It sure looks big compared to what were used to.

Thanks for your time.
Rick Marty

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all, thanks for the interest.

Gary,
Yes a flat or box car is in the planning but a set of trucks is like $150.00 + the rest of the parts. It may be a while before it comes on line/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif:).

Richard,
Actually that isn't a rollup. It is supposed to be a set of shed doors covered with barn tin (rolled corrigated metal) roofing with a length of chain for the closure. It has been out in the sun about 3 weeks now and hasen't melted yet but it has only been in the 90-100 range.

Hi Dick,
Yes, that is what I'm trying to show, pretty dramatic difference for sure. In your picture, it looks like a real bear to load/unload that standard gauge car, unless they have moved into the forklift age:).

Semper,
In Dick's photo I'm sure both cars are 1:20.3 scale.
The car on the left would be 3 foot narrow gauge and the car on the right or foreground would be 4 foot 8 1/2 inches standard gauge. The size difference is in the gauge of the rails. Wider gauge, heavier rails, larger cars, heavier loads. That is one of the reasons narrow gauge went away.

Thanks for looking
Rick Marty

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.