G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys
There are times when we in this hobby need to send/receive items between UK and USA.It would be good to know who has found the cheapest way of doing this,urgency is not often an issue but cost is as it is sometimes more costly to ship than to buy the item in the first place!
Your comments and advise would be welcomed.
Bunny

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
David:I send stuff to the UK , Germany and France regularly. Packing an AMS order for Scotland today. As long as you can fit under the dimensional limits, the US postal service/royal mail is the best method. The down side is that last year all surface mail options were eliminated, so the SLOWEST/LOWEST cost method provides delivery in 6-10 day max- which is pretty fast. By air. So it still is not really 'cheap". however,there are few if any customs hassles-generally., Also, i have gone to the trouble to send large steam locos in 2 cartons, to stay under the dimensional limits. Costs more than one box, but provides safer packing and handling by all parties.

Jonathan/EMW

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
David I have been buying RR stuff from the States for some 25 years now, and although it has got quicker, it has got more expensive for the mailing, as Johnathan said, they have done away with Surface mail now, so everything comes Airmail. As far as C&E, Royal Mail will hold some items back for inspection, and when they do that, you will get a bill for about £7.00, handling fee. Payable at your door. Yes, and I have paid more for an items postage, than the actual cost of said item! But, where else are you going to get them?

I have found that items less than about $60/70 dollars usually get through with out cost. However, if you order several items that cost more in a year, one will get through ok, but the rest will catch the full customs and import duty!

Best of luck with your endeavours, and do let us know how you get on
Rod
Mid Norfolk. England

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By K27_463 on 03/04/2009 6:10 PM David:I send stuff to the UK , Germany and France regularly. Packing an AMS order for Scotland today. As long as you can fit under the dimensional limits, the US postal service/royal mail is the best method. The down side is that last year all surface mail options were eliminated, so the SLOWEST/LOWEST cost method provides delivery in 6-10 day max- which is pretty fast. By air. So it still is not really 'cheap". however,there are few if any customs hassles-generally., Also, i have gone to the trouble to send large steam locos in 2 cartons, to stay under the dimensional limits. Costs more than one box, but provides safer packing and handling by all parties.

Jonathan/EMW

I have to agree with Jonathon here - the few items I have had from him have been here in a few days, and the very largest, my AccuCraft RH, only took six days to get to UK. It did, however, have a three-week vacation in Customs & Excise while they worked out if it was either a water distilllation system[ true] for medical purpsoses [well, running it certainly will make me FEEL better] or a steam-driven clock that delivers alcohol while in service [misinterpretation on their part of the sales description].

All is now resolved, as it was delivered not tne minutes ago, after I drove 100 miles to the point of arrival to try and gee things up a bit. I'll be writing all THIS up in the future article in the British GR.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
What I have found with the UK is it depends also on the packaging, somehow a softside envelope with a kit in it, is cheaper than if you sent the box? I had an IP locomotive kit sent in an envelope even!

There is no way to get anything in our out of England cheap anymore. About 15 years back I had a set of Citroen DS (automobile) turning headlamps sent over, shipping was about $80 then, not sure what it would be now!

Contiental Europe is a bit better, but the last box (about the size of a case of motor oil) out of Holland was EUR22, the vendor charged me EUR39 however......

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I provided the same advice in another tread, but for what it is worth.

When I order parts that are not too thick, I ask if they can be sent in a bubble pack envelope. As an example, I had E Cubed R/C mail me three Black Kat antennas in a bubble pack envelope. Azaar was concerned about damage, but when I agreed to assume the loss for damage, he agreed. He paid less than $2 for international postage instead of $10, and I had my goods undamaged in 9 days. I saved $8 on shipping costs and the antennas arrived in my mail box in less than half the time it usually takes for an international shipment.

The bubble packs envelopes are shipped as oversized letters and delivered to by your postman. It’s cheaper and faster than even the smallest box. The Post Office outlets have a template for measuring the width and thickness of oversized letters. It looks like a wide mail slot. When I asked “what was the largest bubble pack envelope that would fit?” they replied a number four. It is 9 ½ inches (24 cm) wide by 13 1/2 inches (34 cm) long. That’s big enough to mail 50 two-pin plug sets and a bunch of small electrical components.

All Electronics and courier services will often use bubble pack envelopes for small shipments. They are cheaper than boxes and protective stuffing, easy to seal, and less expensive to post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts